wiki globe

Posts Tagged ‘My’

Thousands of blobs of oil appear at My Khe beach

In Uncategorized on January 8, 2011 at 4:15 am

Staff in a environment company clean up the blobs of oil in My Khe beach. (Photo:SGGP)


Tourists at Da Nang beaches on January 2 discovered thousands of blobs of oil, which have been washed up along a one-kilometre length of My Khe beach.


According to Phan Minh Hai, deputy head of Son Tra Eco Tourist Sea Board, the oil started to appear on Sunday, but no one is sure where it has come from.


The Management of the Son Tra Eco Tourist Sea and Da Nang beaches has asked the provincial Department of Natural and Resources to collect samples for testing.


Hai said that it was possible that the oil came from passing ships, and had been blown inshore, by the prevailing northeasterly winds.


The board has asked an environmental company to clean up the mess.

Source: SGGP

Italy helps My Son World Heritage restoration

In Uncategorized on December 24, 2010 at 4:36 am

Findings on ancient Cham bricks and mortar have contributed to the restoration and conservation of My Son World Heritage.

          My Son Sanctuary (Photo: Vnexpresss)

At a press briefing held in Hanoi on Dec. 21, Italian Ambassador to Vietnam Enzo Angeloni said the result of the second phase of the “Safeguarding of My Son World Heritage” project was attributable to the joint efforts of the Vietnamese and Italian scientists as well as the assistance of the Italian Government and UNESCO representative office in Vietnam.


The Italian diplomat said Vietnam’s heritage conservation projects are on the priority list for the Italian Government’s development cooperation in Vietnam. The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) and the Italian Government will continue assisting Vietnam to implement the third phase of the project.


The project, financed by Italy through UNESCO, was carried out with non-refundable aid of 642,000 USD in the first phase from 2003 to 2005 and 453,000 USD in the second phase from 2006-2010.


Under the project, Italian, UNESCO and Vietnamese experts have conducted research activities and materials analysis and tested building techniques as well as provided vocational training for officials and management officers of the archeological area of My Son.


At the event, Italy introduced a draft manual on the restoration of heritages based on experience gained during the implementation of the project. This publication, in English and Vietnamese, will soon be available at national and international level.


The archeological area of My Son is one of the most important relics in Vietnam and was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1999.

Source: SGGP

My Thuan-Can Tho highway needs over VND 6 trillion

In Uncategorized on November 6, 2010 at 1:49 am

Photo exhibition on My Son opens in France

In Uncategorized on November 1, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Four workers killed in fireworks explosion in My Dinh National Stadium

In Uncategorized on October 13, 2010 at 7:47 am

Four people were killed and three others were injured including some foreign experts who will participate in the firework display when a shipment of fireworks exploded in the My Dinh National Stadium’s Stage C in Hanoi on Oct.6, said a high-ranking officer.

 Smoke rises from the incident (Photo: 4teenvt.com)

Lieut. Gen. Nguyen Duc Nhanh, deputy head of the Security General Department II and director of the Hanoi Police Department, said it was a regrettable accident but would not affect work to ensure security for the capital city’s celebrations.


My Dinh National Stadium is one of 29 sites in the capital where organizers planed firework showcases for Hanoi’s 1,000th birthday celebrations.


Police verified the carelessness during the transportation of the two containers of fireworks caused the blast. Two containers were imported by Hanoi-based International Investment Trade and Service Company (Interserco) to be used in firework displays at the My Dinh Stadium on Oct.10.


Right after the incident, Mr. Nhanh ordered eight vehicles to the site to extinguish the fires, cordon off and examine the scene as well as take injured people to hospital.

Source: SGGP

Highway to link Can Tho and My Thuan Bridge

In Uncategorized on June 10, 2010 at 3:41 pm




Highway to link Can Tho and My Thuan Bridge


QĐND – Thursday, June 10, 2010, 20:59 (GMT+7)

Work on the construction of a highway that links Can Tho City to My Thuan Bridge will be started next year, according to the My Thuan Bridge Management Unit.


The unit announced that the Ministry of Transportation has agreed its plan on the pilot policy framework to invest in the construction of the highway, basing on the private – public partnership model (PPP).


The total construction of the highway is of 32.2 kilometres long. Of which the main highway is of 24.5 kilometres long.


The main highway, which is invested with more than VND 6,000 billion, will have six lanes and 12 bridges.


Construction of the project is due to start in 2011 and be completed in 2016.


Source: Tuoi Tre


Translated by Ngoc Hung


Source: QDND

The 9th Hoan My clinic put in operation

In Uncategorized on May 27, 2010 at 5:08 am

Mekong Delta fruit festival opens in My Tho

In Uncategorized on April 20, 2010 at 9:49 am

The delta hub of My Tho opened a fruit festival April 19 to promote Mekong produce.


The festival features fruit cooking demonstrations, parades, a seeds exhibition, a giant fruit exhibition and a fruit art competition, said Tran The Ngoc, Chairman of the People’s Committee in the Mekong Delta province of Tien Giang.

A map of Vietnam made of fresh fruit at the Fruit Festival in the Mekong Delta city of My Tho, Tien Giang Province, on April 19.(Photo:SGGP)

The event also aims to honor local farmers, scientists and enterprises that have contributed to create quality fruit varieties while elevating the status of Vietnamese fruit in the world, said Ngoc.


Speaking at the opening ceremony, State President Nguyen Minh Triet said he was happy to see many domestic and foreign visitors enjoying the event.


President Triet stressed the event was an occasion for farmers, scientists and entrepreneurs to share their experiences and discuss ways to improve local products.


There will be a series of seminars on developing trademarks for Vietnamese fruits on the world market as well of discussions n how to strengthen links between scientists, fruit growers, fruit processors and local authorities to improve the value of Vietnamese fruit.


Seminars will also focus on discussing ecological tourism enhancement models.


Of the festival’s 800 booths, 60 are selling fruit grown around the country at discounts of 5-20 percent.

Source: SGGP

My Hoa Commune moving forward after Can Tho bridge tragedy

In Uncategorized on April 5, 2010 at 11:40 am

Ahead of the Can Tho Bridge’s inauguration in three weeks to connect the two provinces of Vinh Long and Can Tho, SGGP reporters visited Vinh Long’s My Hoa Commune to meet local residents whose relatives were killed in the collapse of the bridge over two years ago when it was under construction.


On September 26, 2007, a 90-meter section of an approach ramp, 30 meters above ground, collapsed. At the time, around 250 engineers and laborers were working on and under the span when it fell, killing 54 people and injuring about 80 more.


With support from local authorities and each other, the families say they are coping the best they can to carry on after the tragic loss.


Overcoming grief, hardship


Binh Minh District’s My Hoa Commune resident Le Van Mai, whose son was killed in the incident, said, “My large family is poor, so in the past we had to take every odd job we could just to make ends meet, from digging, to paddy-cutting, to masonry.


“Tan was my eldest son. He was very dutiful and hard working. He expected to make enough money to build a house for us in our old age. But [now] his dream will never come true,” said Mr. Mai.


On the day of the accident, Mr. Mai says he suggested that Tan stay home as he was ill. But devoted to earning a living for his family, Tan went off to work anyway, never to return.


After Tan’s death, local authorities and social agencies gave a great deal of support to his family.


They were offered a house and VND500 million (US$26,300), with which they bought 1,000 square meters of land to grow pomelo and 5,000 square meters of land for rice cultivation.


Their hard work and investments are now paying off and they are even able to save money for the future. All three of Tan’s siblings have performed well in school, with the youngest winning a VND50 million scholarship.

My Hoa Commune resident Le Van Mai tends to his pomelo garden. His eldest son, Tan, was killed in 2007 in the Can Tho Bridge collapse. (Photo: SGGP)

“Now that the Can Tho Bridge is about to open, I am very happy since the bridge will help develop the Mekong Delta region. However, the bridge also reminds me of the loss of my son,” said Mr. Mai.


“Every evening for the past several days, my wife has asked me to come to the bridge. She cries often as she recalls our son; and I silently take her hand and return home.”


Another bridge worker, Nguyen Van Tung, was also killed in the collapse. He is survived by his wife Ngo Thi Tot.


After offering incense to her husband’s altar, she said, “Initially, I thought I could never overcome the greatest loss of my life. My husband worked very hard to make money to repay a bank loan of VND10 million that we took out to grow pomelo.


“Only thanks to the support of our neighbors and local authorities have my children and I been able to survive,” she said.


Her eldest daughter, aged 24, has received free vocational training and is now working in Vinh Long City. Her younger brother, who earlier had to drop out of school to work, has now been able to return to his grade 12 studies thanks to financial support from the community.


Ms. Tot’s youngest daughter, a grade 7 student, has also earned a VND40 million scholarship.
  
Asked about her future plans, Ms. Tot said, “I still love my deceased husband very much. I will not remarry. I have VND400 million in the bank, donated by the community, and enough to pay for my children’s future. I still grow pomelo every day and our current life is secure.”


Community support


Nguyen Huu Luc, deputy chairman of My Hoa Commune People’s Committee, said, “Thirty-four people from the commune died and 41 were injured in the bridge collapse. To date, with support from the local authorities and community, all families of the victims have been provided for and have used the funds efficiently.”


Many victims’ families were once in poverty but now they are financially much better off, he said.


More than 60 students, who are children or siblings of the victims, have been granted scholarships and many businesses have pledged to employ them when they graduate from school.


The number of poor families in My Hoa has now been reduced to 119 and all victims’ families have been offered VND100-200 million. Local agencies have ensured that the money is spent wisely.


“Farmers here now cultivate pomelo very well, with products that meet export standards accounting for 40 percent of total production. The leaders of Vinh Long Province have also promised to help local farmers grow pomelo according to international standards to boost exports,” said Tran Van Sang, chairman of the My Hoa Nam Roi Pomelo Cooperative.


Land prices here have increased 2-3 times from those three years ago, with land for pomelo-growing surging to VND70-120 million ($3,680-6,315) per 1,000 square meters, and land near main traffic routes rising to VND200-400 million per 1,000 square meters.


To improve the lives of residents and businesses in the community, traffic infrastructure in My Hoa Commune has also been developed. Around 25 km of roads and many small bridges in 10 hamlets have been built, along with a 2km road connecting the commune with the Binh Minh Industrial Park. 


Taking advantage of the Can Tho Bridge, three eco-tourism centers are also under construction in My Hoa to attract tourists in the future.


Although they will continue to grieve the loss of their loved ones, in the wake of the bridge tragedy, locals say My Hoa is slowly but surely moving forward.

Source: SGGP

My Hoa Commune moving forward after Can Tho bridge tragedy

In Uncategorized on April 5, 2010 at 11:38 am

Ahead of the Can Tho Bridge’s inauguration in three weeks to connect the two provinces of Vinh Long and Can Tho, SGGP reporters visited Vinh Long’s My Hoa Commune to meet local residents whose relatives were killed in the collapse of the bridge over two years ago when it was under construction.


On September 26, 2007, a 90-meter section of an approach ramp, 30 meters above ground, collapsed. At the time, around 250 engineers and laborers were working on and under the span when it fell, killing 54 people and injuring about 80 more.


With support from local authorities and each other, the families say they are coping the best they can to carry on after the tragic loss.


Overcoming grief, hardship


Binh Minh District’s My Hoa Commune resident Le Van Mai, whose son was killed in the incident, said, “My large family is poor, so in the past we had to take every odd job we could just to make ends meet, from digging, to paddy-cutting, to masonry.


“Tan was my eldest son. He was very dutiful and hard working. He expected to make enough money to build a house for us in our old age. But [now] his dream will never come true,” said Mr. Mai.


On the day of the accident, Mr. Mai says he suggested that Tan stay home as he was ill. But devoted to earning a living for his family, Tan went off to work anyway, never to return.


After Tan’s death, local authorities and social agencies gave a great deal of support to his family.


They were offered a house and VND500 million (US$26,300), with which they bought 1,000 square meters of land to grow pomelo and 5,000 square meters of land for rice cultivation.


Their hard work and investments are now paying off and they are even able to save money for the future. All three of Tan’s siblings have performed well in school, with the youngest winning a VND50 million scholarship.

My Hoa Commune resident Le Van Mai tends to his pomelo garden. His eldest son, Tan, was killed in 2007 in the Can Tho Bridge collapse. (Photo: SGGP)

“Now that the Can Tho Bridge is about to open, I am very happy since the bridge will help develop the Mekong Delta region. However, the bridge also reminds me of the loss of my son,” said Mr. Mai.


“Every evening for the past several days, my wife has asked me to come to the bridge. She cries often as she recalls our son; and I silently take her hand and return home.”


Another bridge worker, Nguyen Van Tung, was also killed in the collapse. He is survived by his wife Ngo Thi Tot.


After offering incense to her husband’s altar, she said, “Initially, I thought I could never overcome the greatest loss of my life. My husband worked very hard to make money to repay a bank loan of VND10 million that we took out to grow pomelo.


“Only thanks to the support of our neighbors and local authorities have my children and I been able to survive,” she said.


Her eldest daughter, aged 24, has received free vocational training and is now working in Vinh Long City. Her younger brother, who earlier had to drop out of school to work, has now been able to return to his grade 12 studies thanks to financial support from the community.


Ms. Tot’s youngest daughter, a grade 7 student, has also earned a VND40 million scholarship.
  
Asked about her future plans, Ms. Tot said, “I still love my deceased husband very much. I will not remarry. I have VND400 million in the bank, donated by the community, and enough to pay for my children’s future. I still grow pomelo every day and our current life is secure.”


Community support


Nguyen Huu Luc, deputy chairman of My Hoa Commune People’s Committee, said, “Thirty-four people from the commune died and 41 were injured in the bridge collapse. To date, with support from the local authorities and community, all families of the victims have been provided for and have used the funds efficiently.”


Many victims’ families were once in poverty but now they are financially much better off, he said.


More than 60 students, who are children or siblings of the victims, have been granted scholarships and many businesses have pledged to employ them when they graduate from school.


The number of poor families in My Hoa has now been reduced to 119 and all victims’ families have been offered VND100-200 million. Local agencies have ensured that the money is spent wisely.


“Farmers here now cultivate pomelo very well, with products that meet export standards accounting for 40 percent of total production. The leaders of Vinh Long Province have also promised to help local farmers grow pomelo according to international standards to boost exports,” said Tran Van Sang, chairman of the My Hoa Nam Roi Pomelo Cooperative.


Land prices here have increased 2-3 times from those three years ago, with land for pomelo-growing surging to VND70-120 million ($3,680-6,315) per 1,000 square meters, and land near main traffic routes rising to VND200-400 million per 1,000 square meters.


To improve the lives of residents and businesses in the community, traffic infrastructure in My Hoa Commune has also been developed. Around 25 km of roads and many small bridges in 10 hamlets have been built, along with a 2km road connecting the commune with the Binh Minh Industrial Park. 


Taking advantage of the Can Tho Bridge, three eco-tourism centers are also under construction in My Hoa to attract tourists in the future.


Although they will continue to grieve the loss of their loved ones, in the wake of the bridge tragedy, locals say My Hoa is slowly but surely moving forward.

Source: SGGP

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.