wiki globe

Posts Tagged ‘22’

National Assembly elections scheduled for May 22

In Uncategorized on January 8, 2011 at 4:08 am




National Assembly elections scheduled for May 22


QĐND – Friday, January 07, 2011, 21:29 (GMT+7)

The election of the 13th National Assembly and for People’s Councils at all levels for the 2011-16 term will be held on May 22 of this year.


A majority of members of the National Assembly Standing Committee approved the date at a session of the NA Standing Committee in Hanoi on Jan. 6.


As planned, the NA Standing Committee will promulgate a resolution of the date for the national polls on January 21.


The NA Standing Committee also agreed on the establishment of an election council, which will comprise 21 people including the NA chairman who will be the council president. It will also include deputy chairmen from the Office of the President, the Government Office, the National Assembly, committees, organisations and central associations.


NA Chairman Nguyen Phu Trong, who chaired the session, asked relevant offices to implement tasks necessary to ensuring the process runs as scheduled.


Source: VNA


Source: QDND

Mobile phone subscribers leap nearly 22 percent

In Uncategorized on June 8, 2010 at 2:32 pm




Mobile phone subscribers leap nearly 22 percent


QĐND – Tuesday, June 08, 2010, 20:59 (GMT+7)

Vietnam’s telecommunications market is expected to develop rapidly in the upcoming months.


The number of new mobile phone subscribers last month reached 18.5 million, an increase of 21.9 percent over the same period last year.


The development, in part, has intensified due to the advent of new services provided by mobile phone suppliers.


Last month, the Vietnam Post and Telecommunications Corporation (VNPT) signed a contract to be the sole broadcaster of the World Cup 2010 for mobile phones.


All 64 football matches can now be directly viewed through Mobile Television, a subsidiary of VNPT’s MobiFone and VinaPhone providers, for 30,000 VND (1.6 USD).


Head of Vinaphone’s Marketing Department Pham Ngoc Tu said the providers planned to add more than 60 value-added services for mobile phone subscribers, which aims to increase the provider’s service quality.


Tu said the services account for 10 percent of their total revenue, but predicted they would eventually increase to 20 percent of the company’s revenue.


S-Fone has announced that it will expand its coverage of 3G-EVDO services to 37 cities and provinces nationwide.


The provider added that it would invest in upgrading the 3G-EVDO in order to ensure the quality of its 3G service and prepare for the arrival of 4G.


Vietnamese mobile phone providers have been rushing to reduce Iphone prices in line with the decreasing prices of the product in the US.


Providers will begin to reduce the phone’s price from 197 USD to 100 USD each.


Last Tuesday, the military-run mobile phone provider, Viettel, reduced the price of its Iphone to 1 million VND (54 USD) in order to increase phone sales.


VinaPhone’s representative Nguyen Thu Hong said the provider had yet to consider reducing the price of its Iphone package.


She said the company had imported approximately 5,000 Iphones and planned to import more soon.


MobiFone, one of the three largest mobile phone providers in the country, does not sell the Iphone.


Source: VNA


Source: QDND

22 works awarded at Int’l FICTS festival

In Uncategorized on May 31, 2010 at 11:42 pm




22 works awarded at Int’l FICTS festival


QĐND – Monday, May 31, 2010, 20:59 (GMT+7)


Twenty two movies have been selected for awards at the fifth Vietnam International FICTS festival – Sport, Tourism Movies and TV which ended in the central city of Da Nang on May 30.

Out of 92 participating films by 34 domestic and foreign studios, six films each won the first and second prizes, three films were awarded the individual prizes and seven others received the jury board prize.


With the largest number of entries ever since, the festival has seen remarkable progress in the quality of works.


Source: VNA/ Photo: Tuoi Tre


Source: QDND

22 ethnic groups to join Gong Festival

In Uncategorized on November 9, 2009 at 4:55 am

The People’s Committee of Gia Lai Province November 7 announced 22 ethnic groups and five gong troupes from Cambodia, Indonesia, Philippines, Laos and Myanmar will join the International Gong Festival 2009.








A Gong performance at the Central Highland province of Dak Lak.

The authorities held a meeting to announce its preparation for the International Gong Festival 2009, which will be held for the first time in the central highland province of Gia Lai from 12 – 15 November.


Pham The Dung, chairman of the committee said 25 provinces and cities, with a total of 35 troupes including 788 people, will join the festival.


The festival will feature the Central Highlands’ gong culture, a unique Vietnamese art form recognized as an Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO.


The festival will include gong performances, gong tuning performances, sculpting, exhibitions of the Central Highlands’ ethnic culture, craft villages, seminars on tourism products attached to gong culture and the preservation of gong culture, a conference on investment in the province and local cuisine and drinks.


The province has asked travel companies for special tours to attract visitors.


The opening ceremony of the festival, with a fireworks show, will take place at 8pm on November 12 at March 17 Square and broadcast live on VTV.


The festival will help people in Gia Lai be aware of preserving the most specific cultural values of communal activities and gongs, said Deputy Minister of Culture, Sport and Tourism Tran Chien Thang.


Source: SGGP Bookmark & Share

22 years’ jail time for anti-State agitators

In Social life on October 11, 2009 at 4:18 am




22 years’ jail time for anti-State agitators


QĐND – Saturday, October 10, 2009, 22:22 (GMT+7)

The People’s Court of the northern port city of Hai Phong has handed down 22 years’ of imprisonment to six people convicted of propaganda against the Vietnamese State.


The two-day session, which concluded on Oct. 9, sentenced Nguyen Xuan Nghia to six years in prison, Nguyen Van Tuc to four years, Nguyen Van Tinh and Nguyen Manh Son each to three and a half years, Ngo Quynh to three years and Nguyen Kim Nhan to two years.


All the six defendants will also be kept under surveillance for between two and three years at their residential localities after serving their jail terms.


According to the indictment, Nghia, born in 1949, together with his accomplices, hung up banners and distributed leaflets on the Lach Tray flyover in Hai Phong city and Lai Cach flyover in neighbouring Hai Duong province.


They then took photos and authored writings containing distorted and slanderous information on the government and uploaded them to the internet.


These defendants, excluding Quynh, also compiled, stored and disseminated documents with anti-Vietnamese State content.


They frequently sent writings to foreign websites that distorted the Vietnamese Party and State’s policies, crying out for a pluralist and multiparty government, and undermining the Party’s leadership. Their writings incited opposition, defamed the administration, and caused harm to national security and social order.


Nghia alone, as from 2007, joined the provisional representative board of Bloc 8406, a reactionary organisation set up by Nguyen Van Ly and Phan Van Loi.


From 2007 up to his arrest, Nghia authored 57 writings that distorted and smeared the Vietnamese Party and State.


Tinh, Tuc and Son were also the authors of a number of writings sent to reactionary websites. Tinh was previously sentenced by the Hai Phong People’s Court to seven years’ imprisonment for participating in the establishment of a reactionary organisation in 1966.


The court was attended by representatives from the embassies of the US, Sweden, and Australia in Vietnam, and reporters from international news agencies such as Reuters of the UK, AFP of France and DPA of Germany.


Source: VNA


Source: QDND

Whirlwind and flood casualty toll reaches 22

In Vietnam Weather on September 10, 2009 at 8:07 am

Whirlwinds and floods have killed seven people, injured nine and left six others missing in the central region and Central Highlands over the past seven days.

The natural disaster, a consequence of a tropical depression, also caused hundreds of billions of Vietnamese dong in damage, according to the Centre for Flood and Storm Control in the Central Region and Central Highlands .

The Centre Director, Van Phu Chinh, lead a delegation to flood-hit areas for a fact-finding tour.








Le Loi Street in Hoi An City, Quang Nam Province submergeb by flood water (Photo: SGGP)

They found that over 1,500 dwellings were either submerged or destroyed. Landslides, which moved tens of thousands of cu. m. of earth, destroyed a number of traffic and irrigation projects. Eight ships and ferries were overturned or stranded.

Additionally, almost 15,000 ha of rice fields and over 10,000 ha of other food crops were inundated and 507 ha of industrial crops were destroyed. Floods also swept away 73 tonnes of fish and shrimp from 732 ha of fish ponds.

The water level in reservoirs at major hydro power plants in Binh Phuoc province has continuously risen, causing the plants to open their overflow sluices, which has affected hundreds of hectares of crops and homes in the adjacent areas.


Source: SGGP

Bomb blast in Thai Gov’t House kills 1, injures 22

In Uncategorized on November 21, 2008 at 1:41 pm

A bomb blast in Thailand’s Government House in the early morning of November 20 killed one protester and wounded 22 others from the anti-government People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

The incident occurred after a rifle grenade attack at the PAD encampment, the Thai news agency (TNA) reported.

Witnesses said the explosion occurred around 3.30 am, when an explosive device fell into the Government House compound which the protesters have occupied since August 26.

The PAD’s initial investigation suggested that the projectile was likely to have been from a military issue M-79 rifle, fired into the compound from outside.

Following the attack, PAD volunteer guards blocked all entrances to Government House and rushed the injured to nearby hospitals.

The protest alliance core leaders called an urgent meeting to seek measures to prevent future attacks and pressed the authorities to locate the assailants.

PAD protesters have seized Government House and vowed not to leave until the government steps down.-

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.