wiki globe

Posts Tagged ‘aid’

Charity gala event to help aid children in need

In Uncategorized on January 12, 2011 at 7:06 am




Charity gala event to help aid children in need


QĐND – Tuesday, January 11, 2011, 21:34 (GMT+7)

Leading artists will gather to perform at a charity gala on Jan. 13 to raise money for children living at Hanoi’s Phuc Lam Preschool and Nursery.


The show, which is to take place at the capital’s historic Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi hotel, is entitled Cay Lieu Khoc Cho Em (Willow Weeps for Me).


As a curtain raiser, Spanish fashion designer Chula will present her latest collection, which features the diamond jewellery of the Hanoi-based London Diamond Gallery.


Vietnamese diva My Linh and virtuoso pianist Pho An My will share the stage with the hotel’s resident French jazz diva Trebeka on the night. Award-winning actress Le Khanh will be MC.


The event is organised by the the non-profit charity organisation, Willow Weeps for Me, founded by Trebeka.


Source: VNA


Source: QDND

Northern provinces to receive Japan aid for primary school project

In Uncategorized on January 8, 2011 at 4:09 am

The Government of Japan has agreed to a grant of US$191, 900 for the construction of primary schools in the northern provinces of Nam Dinh and Quang Ninh.


Japanese Ambassador to Vietnam Yasuaki Tanizaki, handed US$ 95,183 and US$ 96,717 to Mr. Nguyen Van Dong, Chairman of People’s Committee of Yen Tho Commune in Nam Dinh province and Mr. Nguyen Van Thanh, Chairman of People’s Committee of Xuan Son Commune in Quang Ninh respectively on December 28, 2010 at the Embassy of Japan in Vietnam.


The Yen Tho Primary School in Nam Dinh Province was built in 1975 but was damaged by floods and is in need of repair. Furthermore, classrooms are too small to accommodate enough students, as a result the school has to borrow space in a nearby secondary school and often students study in two shifts.


Xuan Son Primary School in Quang Ninh province was built in 1964 and is now in a dilapidated condition. It has only three classrooms hence can only facilitate children from grade 1-2. The school has to continually borrow space from the nearby secondary school for their 3-5 grade children and pupils have to learn in two shifts.


The People’s Committee, in an effort to improve the condition of both the schools plans to build a new 2 storey 8 classroom building. The Government of Japan grant that supports this project will help towards the purchase of building materials.
 
At a ceremony, Ambassador Tanizaki hoped that through this project, funded by the Government of Japan, learning conditions in Xuan Son Commune would improve considerably and that through this project friendship and mutual understanding between Japan and Vietnam would further deepen.

Source: SGGP

EU finance ministers to meet on Irish aid plan Sunday

In Uncategorized on November 27, 2010 at 1:51 pm

European Union finance ministers are to meet in Brussels on Sunday to discuss the EU aid plan for debt-ravaged Ireland, a French source said Saturday.


The source familiar with the issue said French Finance Minister Christine Lagarde had called for a meeting of her colleagues from eurozone countries, to be joined afterwards by ministers from the rest of the EU.


Originally it had been planned for them to communicate simply by telephone to approve the package worth 85 billion euros (113 billion dollars) and its conditions, the source added.


 

Source: SGGP

Aid for thousands in four poor provinces

In Uncategorized on November 26, 2010 at 1:51 pm




Aid for thousands in four poor provinces


QĐND – Friday, November 26, 2010, 20:40 (GMT+7)

Nearly 5,000 poor households in four provinces will be given a helping hand to increase income and job opportunities during the next two years.


This is one of the main targets of a joint programme on green production and trade in Thanh Hoa, Nghe An, Hoa Binh and Phu Tho provinces.


The 4.1 million USD scheme has been organised by the Trade Promotion Department under the Ministry of Industry and Trade and five United Nations organisations.


More than 40 percent of the beneficiaries have a monthly income of less than 200,000 VND (10 USD).


“The four provinces were selected due to the high incidence of poverty, especially among ethnic minorities, the concentration of raw materials and local production of craft,” said Do Kim Lang, deputy director of the department.


The programme will focus on boosting five crafts based on bamboo ware, producing and weaving silk, sea grass, lacquer ware and handmade paper.


“We want to help poor growers, collectors and producers to improve their products and link them to more profitable markets,” said Lang.


Under the programme, raw bamboo and rattan material will be managed, exploited and developed in a sustainable way.


“Green here means that we will ensure environmental protection when exploiting raw materials, and ensure safe working condition for farmers,” said Lang.


A total of 400ha of bamboo belonging to 150 households have been zoned in Chau Thang district in central Nghe An province.


More than 460ha of rattan have also been planted in the four provinces. Local farmers have received training on planting, harvesting and processing.


More than 500 people in the four provinces have already received basic training in making bamboo products. And more than 740 others have received advanced training to enable them to make complicated and fine art bamboo products. They have been provided with splitting machines and storage facilities.


The export value of bamboo and rattan products in the targeted provinces is expected to rise significantly if there is a well developed understanding of markets, marketing and design.


Service providers will also help run advanced training in business development and invite foreign designers to develop new product ranges for bamboo and rattan.


Handicraft enterprises will be invited on study tours in Vietnam , China and the Philippines . They will also be involved in domestic and international trade fairs.


Source: VNA


Source: QDND

Hanoi gives more aid to flood victims

In Uncategorized on November 19, 2010 at 1:59 pm

HCM City gives relief aid to flood victims in central VN

In Uncategorized on November 8, 2010 at 8:20 am

Weather clears for Indonesia tsunami aid as toll climbs

In Uncategorized on October 31, 2010 at 11:11 am

Indonesia battles to aid tsunami survivors

In Uncategorized on October 29, 2010 at 9:40 am

A woman searches for her belongings in a collapsed house in Taparaboat village in the Mentawai islands, West Sumatra, on October 28, 2010. AFP

NORTH PAGAI, Indonesia (AFP) – Indonesia battled to deliver aid to remote islands where a tsunami has killed over 400 people, as bodies lay strewn on beaches and buried in debris days after the wave hit.


Disaster response officials believe the final death toll from the huge wave that hit the Mentawai island chain off the west coast of Sumatra Monday could pass 600, with many of the victims sucked out to sea as the tsunami receded.


Almost 13,000 people are living in makeshift camps on the islands after their homes were wiped out in the wave, which was triggered by a powerful 7.7 magnitude earthquake.


Elsewhere in the disaster-prone archipelago, the nation’s most active volcano, Mount Merapi, was spewing lava and ash, threatening residents who may have returned to their homes after an eruption on Tuesday killed 34 people.


“It shot heat clouds at 6:10 am as far as 3.5 kilometres (over two miles) down its southeastern slopes and followed this with ash rain,” volcanologist Heru Suparwoko told AFP.


The clouds were “definitely dangerous” for people who had refused to obey orders to evacuate the danger zone on the island of Java or who had returned to tend to their livestock and property, he added.


Some 50,000 people have fled to temporary shelters but many are returning to their fields on the volcano during the day, despite the threat of another deadly eruption.


On the Mentawais, a legendary destination for foreign surfers but an otherwise poor and neglected part of Indonesia, bodies were being found buried on beaches and even stuck in trees.


The latest official death toll stood at 408, with 303 still listed as missing. Officials said as many as 200 of the missing were not expected to be found alive.


“When we flew over the area yesterday (Wednesday) we saw many bodies. Heads and legs were sticking out of the sand, some of them were in the trees,” disaster official Ade Edward said Thursday.


Indonesia initially refused offers of foreign aid but Australia announced that Jakarta had accepted about one million US dollars worth of assistance for both disasters.


The European Commission released 1.5 million euros (two million dollars) in aid and UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said the United Nations stood ready to assist in any way.


“Indonesia is currently addressing a multitude of emergencies, whose cumulative impact is putting local capacity under severe strain,” European aid chief Kristalina Georgieva said.


The United States and several Asian countries have also offered help.


Bad weather has hampered efforts to ferry aid such as tents, medicine, food and water to the islands by boat from the nearest port of Padang, which is more than half a day away even in the best conditions.


Troops and warships have been dispatched to the region but more helicopters and boats are needed to ferry aid to the most isolated communities, some of which lack roads and wireless communications.


“Our staff have been waiting in Padang since Monday night to reach the remote area. They are now still in Padang,” World Vision emergency response director Jimmy Nadapdap said.


Dave Jenkins of independent health agency Surfaid International, which is based in the Mentawais, said: “Bad weather is forecast and a severely challenging situation has been made a lot worse.”


President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono visited the area Thursday and told survivors the government was doing everything it could to help them.


Officials have batted away questions about why an expensive warning system — established after the 2004 Asian tsunami killed almost 170,000 people on Sumatra and nearby islands — failed to alert people on the Mentawais.


Survivors said the only warning they received was the “roaring” sound of the wave as it sped towards them shortly before 10:00 pm, although an official tsunami alert had been issued in Jakarta.


An official responsible for the warnings blamed local authorities on the Mentawais for failing to pass on the alert, telling reporters: “We don’t feel there was any mistake.”


The Indonesian archipelago is studded with scores of active volcanoes and stretches from the Pacific to the Indian oceans, spanning several tectonic plates meeting on a so-called “ring of fire”.


According to the US Geological Survey, Monday’s earthquake was “the latest in a sequence of large ruptures along the Sunda megathrust” including the 2004 quake.

d
Source: SGGP

Relief aid accelerates as flood deaths hit 66

In Uncategorized on October 22, 2010 at 7:59 pm




Relief aid accelerates as flood deaths hit 66


QĐND – Friday, October 22, 2010, 23:13 (GMT+7)

The dead toll from the severe floods caused by heavy rain in the central region reached 66 on October 21, according to the Central Steering Committee for Flood and Storm Prevention and Control.


Ha Tinh province recorded the highest number of deaths of 32, Nghe An, 20, Quang Binh, nine, and Thanh Hoa, five.


Forty-four others have been injured and only eight were still missing, said the committee.


In the afternoon of October 21, rescuers recovered the bodies of 14 passengers drowned when their bus was swept away in flood waters in Ha Tinh province’s Nghi Xuan district.


The search was continuing for other passengers on the bus who may have floated away.


The Bao Viet insurance company in Ha Tinh, Nghe An and Dak Lak provinces initially paid VND25 million in insurance payouts for each victim in the accident.


At present, 120 communes and 38,029 households in Nghe An province are inundated, with 35 communes marooned.


As many as 183 communes and 175,110 households in Ha Tinh province and 16 communes and 53,520 households in Quang Binh province are still submerged.


On October 20, roads via Ha Tinh province were reopened to traffic while some portions of railway routes through Ha Tinh and Quang Binh provinces remained deeply inundated.


The same day, Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung and officials from the ministries of defence, public security, and agriculture and rural development made a fact-finding tour in Ha Tinh province.


The PM held a working session with authorities of the flood-hit localities to ensure necessary works were promptly carried out to overcome flood consequences and stabilize production and the local people’s life.


As many as 5,100kg of PUR, 6,000 kg of Cloramin B, 300,000 tablets of Aquatab, and 3,000 single use toilet bags were delivered to the flood-hit provinces to help process flooded water for daily use.


Transport workers have been deployed to clear land erosion sites on roads in these localities. They have also been posted at dangerous sites to guide traffic.


The Consular Department of the Foreign Ministry sent a telegraph to the Vietnamese Embassy in Brunei asking it to contact relevant agencies there to verify and process procedures for 16 fishermen aboard Boat QNg 96455-TS of Quang Ngai province, who were rescued by a Brunei rescue ship on October 19, to return home soon.


Source: VNA


Source: QDND

Party, State leaders prioritize aid for flood victims

In Uncategorized on October 18, 2010 at 2:24 pm




Party, State leaders prioritize aid for flood victims


QĐND – Monday, October 18, 2010, 21:19 (GMT+7)

Party General Secretary Nong Duc Manh has sent a dispatch to condole with flood victims and provide guidance for coping with natural disasters in provinces from Nghe An to Thua Thien-Hue.


In his dispatch, dated October 18, Mr Manh complimented the party members, state cadres and servicemen for their efforts to overcome difficulties and protect the lives of people. He said there have been many bright examples set by good people during the disasters.


Mr Manh extended his condolences to the families of those who died in the floods.


To conclude, he called on party committees, and people’s committees from the provinces affected by the storms to make more effort to minimize the losses caused by the floods as well as take the necessary measures to cope with the typhoon Megi predicted to land in Vietnam soon.


The same day, Deputy Prime Minister Hoang Trung Hai presided over a teleconference, which involved the committees for preventing floods and storms in provinces from Quang Ninh to Khanh Hoa. He urged them to seek ways of dealing with the coming super typhoon Megi.


Mr Hai requested officials of localities to visit and organize careful burials for those killed by floods and ensure sufficient warm clothes, food and medicine were available for local people.


Source: VOV


Photo: Tuoitre


Source: QDND

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.