wiki globe

Posts Tagged ‘2.3’

Highest tides in 23 years damage crops, aquaculture ponds

In Uncategorized on November 24, 2010 at 6:21 am




Highest tides in 23 years damage crops, aquaculture ponds


QĐND – Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 20:52 (GMT+7)

The highest tides in 23 years have damaged crops and aquaculture ponds on the southernmost Ca Mau peninsula.


Ca Mau province’s Hydro-meteorological Forecasting Centre director Tran Tien Dung said high tides and heavy rain had swollen waters in coastal Nam Can district to 1.54 metres and 86 cm in Ca Mau city.


The province’s Agriculture and Rural Development Department reports that sea water surged over dykes in the Dam Doi, Nam Can, Ngoc Hien, Phu Tan districts destroying more than 3,000 ha of shrimp and fish ponds.


About 5,000 ha of rice paddy and plantation was also flooded in the Thoi Binh, U Minh and Tran Van Thoi districts.


High tides from October to the middle of this month have damaged more than 15,800 ha and caused damage estimated at 4.1 billion VND (210,000 USD), reports provincial Irrigation Department director Nguyen Long Hoai.


Three days of high tides and heavy rain has also damaged 53,000 ha of farm land in neighbouring Bac Lieu province.


The province could lose 13,000 ha if the high tides continue, warns the provincial agriculture department.


The high tides, which are expected to continue until this weekend, submerged most of Nga Nam in Soc Trang province.


The 1.6-million-ha Ca Mau peninsular, on the southern tip of Vietnam , includes Can Tho city and Hau Giang, Soc Trang, Bac Lieu and Ca Mau provinces as well as part of Kien Giang.


Source: VNA


Source: QDND

Almost 23,000 children blind in both eyes

In Uncategorized on May 24, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Curfew extended across 23 Thai provinces

In Uncategorized on May 19, 2010 at 5:06 pm

BANGKOK, May 19, 2010 (AFP) – A curfew was extended to cover 23 Thai provinces as well as Bangkok on Wednesday night after a deadly army crackdown on an anti-government rally sparked rioting and arson in the capital.

Red Shirt anti-government protesters carry a shot and wounded comrade on Ratchadamri road inside the protesters’s camp in downtown Bangkok on May 19, 2010. AFP photo

Thailand’s Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Situation (CRES) said in a statement it had “imposed the curfew in 23 more provinces from 8:00 pm to 6:00 am”.


Anyone violating the curfew would be jailed for two years maximum or fined 40,000 baht (1,200 dollars) or both, but a government spokesman earlier said those who needed to travel should carry passports or ID and tickets.


Earlier, General Prawit Wongsuwon told AFP that the curfew would be imposed in Bangkok and checkpoints would be set up across the city.


“We are waiting until the people go back home, then we will deal with rogue protesters,” he said.

d
Source: SGGP

23 dead as tornado hits Chinese mega-city

In Uncategorized on May 6, 2010 at 4:37 am

At least 23 people were killed and more than 160 injured when a tornado struck China’s southwestern mega-city of Chongqing Thursday, smashing homes and destroying crops, officials and state media said.

At least 23 people were killed and more than 160 injured when a tornado struck China’s southwestern mega-city of Chongqing Thursday, smashing homes and destroying crops, state media reported. (AFP Graphic)

The tornado — followed by torrential rains, hail storms and high winds — hit two rural counties in the giant municipality at around 2:00 am (1800 GMT Wednesday), Xinhua news agency said, citing government sources.


Officials were working to tally the number of dead and injured, as well as the number of homes damaged.


“Tornados never happened here in the past — this is the first time,” Liu Fang, a local township official in Liangping county, one of the hardest-hit areas, told AFP by phone.


“So far, six have died and 38 are injured in our township. The electricity has been cut, and some houses were damaged due to the strong wind. We’re still gathering information on the toll.”


The injured were being brought to local hospitals while tents were being set up for those whose homes were destroyed, Li said.


Torrential rains have been falling over the region since the tornado struck, he added.


“Basically, collapses to old houses was very serious, while newly built brick homes were only damaged,” an official in Xinmin township told AFP.


“We’re still gathering information about the disaster.”


According to the People’s Daily, the Communist Party’s mouthpiece, as many as 1,000 homes in six towns had at least partially collapsed in the storm, while thousands of others were damaged.


Power was cut in several areas, many roads in the region were blocked, and bridges also suffered damage, the report said.


The cost of damage in the six towns was expected to surpass 20 million yuan (almost three million dollars), it added, citing preliminary estimates.


Chongqing has a population of more than 30 million people.


 

Source: SGGP

2.3 trln VND for social work profession development

In Uncategorized on March 28, 2010 at 5:43 am

Vietnam will spend over 2.3 trillion VND (123.5 million USD) on a project to develop the social worker profession during the 2010-2020 period.


According to a recent Government decision, the project will come into effect on May 10, 2010.


The project aims to develop social work into a profession in Vietnam , raise the awareness of the entire society about the social work profession and build a strong contingent of social workers in both quality and quantity.


The project will improve professional knowledge for around 60,000 social workers.

Source: SGGP

Italy convicts 23 US agents in CIA kidnapping trial

In Uncategorized on November 5, 2009 at 10:08 am

MILAN, Nov 5, 2009 (AFP) – An Italian judge convicted 23 US and two Italian secret agents for the CIA’s kidnapping of an Egyptian cleric in 2003, as Washington expressed dismay over the ruling.


The CIA’s Milan station chief at the time, Robert Seldon Lady, was sentenced Wednesday to eight years in prison and the other Americans to five years, all in their absence at the landmark trial.


The two Italians were given three-year prison terms after the first trial involving the transfer of a “war on terror” suspect by CIA operatives thought to have sent scores of people to countries known to practise torture.








Italian judge Oscar Maggi reads on November 4, 2009 at a Milan’s court, the verdict at the end of the trial of the 26 US secret agents (AFP photo)

The CIA chief for Italy at the time, Jeffrey Castelli, and the then-head of Italian military intelligence SISMI, Nicolo Pollari, were protected by state secrecy rules, while two other American defendants benefited from diplomatic immunity, Judge Oscar Magi said.


US State Department spokesman Ian Kelly said that Washington was “disappointed by the verdicts against the Americans and Italians” in the trial.


“Our view is the Italian court has no jurisdiction over Lieutenant Colonel (Joseph) Romano and should have immediately dismissed the charges,” said Pentagon Press Secretary Geoff Morrell.


“Now that they have not, we will, of course, explore what options we have going forward.”


Prosecutor Armando Spataro hailed the ruling, saying the trial, which opened in June 2007, had demonstrated “the truth of the investigation.”


Spataro had sought a 13-year jail term for Castelli and Pollari, who was forced to quit over the affair.


Osama Mustafa Hassan, an imam better known as Abu Omar, was snatched from a Milan street on February 17, 2003 in an operation coordinated by the CIA and SISMI.


The radical Islamist opposition figure, who enjoyed political asylum in Italy, was allegedly taken to the Aviano Air Base, a US military installation in northeastern Italy, then flown to the US base in Ramstein, Germany, and on to Cairo, where he says he was tortured.


The “extraordinary rendition” programme was set up by the administration of then-president George W. Bush in the wake of the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States.


The imam’s captors failed to take many standard precautions, speaking openly on cell phones, leaving investigators to suspect that the Americans had cleared their intentions with senior Italian intelligence officials.


Sabrina DeSousa, a CIA spy sentenced to five years in an Italian prison for her role in the kidnapping plot, admitted Wednesday that she “broke the law” but felt abandoned by her superiors.


“And we are paying for the mistakes right now, whoever authorized and approved this,” DeSousa told ABC television, adding she felt “abandoned and betrayed.”


Human Rights Watch welcomed the court move, even though the two highest-ranking officials were not convicted.


“The Italian government was found responsible for collaborating with the CIA. It was a brave ruling for an Italian court,” the rights group’s Joanne Mariner told AFP.


The trial was delayed as successive Italian governments sought to have it thrown out as a threat to national security. Defendants argued that state secrecy rules prevented them from being able to prove their innocence.


The issue went before Italy’s Constitutional Court, which agreed that part of the investigation had violated state secrecy provisions but said the prosecution could use evidence obtained correctly.


Prosecutor Spataro lamented what he called the “twisted logic” behind an operation that broke the law as well as sending a suspect to endure torture.


“This only encourages the multiplication of terrorists,” said Spataro, who is known for his work against the left-wing militant group the Red Brigades that was active in the 1970s.


Source: SGGP Bookmark & Share

Vietnam to pour over 2.3 trillion VND into climate change

In Uncategorized on December 11, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Hanoi (VNA) – Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung has approved a budget of more than 2.3 trillion VND for a national programme to cope with climate change from 2009 to 2015.

The budget, expected to come from non-refundable aid and long-term soft loans, will support the programme implementers to assess levels of climate change impacts on sectors, branches and localities.

Such assessments will then serve as grounds for the creation of an effective action plan in the field, said the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.

Studies indicate that Vietnam is one of the five countries in the world that are most vulnerable to climate change.
If sea level is supposed to rise one metre, around 5 percent of Vietnam ’s land would be adversely affected, causing difficulty for around 11 percent of the nation’s population, and reducing 7 percent of farm output and 10 percent of GDP.

Realising those threats, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment has asked the agricultural sector to promptly figure out climate change impacts on specific crops, even on the plants that can greatly benefit from climate change, in order to formulate long-term development strategies.

At a recent seminar on climate change impacts on farming and food security, Dr. Nguyen Huu Ninh, President of the Civil Society Network on Climate Change, said human actions are very the cause of climate change, meaning a 90 percent probability and only humans can do to mitigate those changes.-