wiki globe

Posts Tagged ‘agrees’

Ministry agrees to cut import tax on gas

In Uncategorized on December 24, 2010 at 4:25 am




Ministry agrees to cut import tax on gas


QĐND – Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 21:8 (GMT+7)

The Ministry of Finance has cut import tax on gas from 5 percent to 2 percent to stabilise the domestic gas market.


The new tariff came into effect on Dec. 17 and gas retailers PV Gas, Petrolimex Gas, Sai Gon Petro Gas, Vinagas and Gia Dinh Gas immediately cut their retail price by 8,000 VND (0.38 USD) on 12kg canisters.


The move comes at the end of a year when the price of gas in Vietnam rose seven times so far this year. Before the cut, retail prices for canisters ranged from 330,000 VND (15.71 USD) to 360,000 VND (17.14 USD) depending on the brand.


The Vietnam Gas Association originally proposed the tax cut after rises in the world’s gas price led to similar increases on the domestic market.


Gas world prices have raised about 200 USD to roughly 1,000 USD per tonne this month.


The gas association’s chairman Nguyen Sy Thang said dependence on imports makes doing business difficult for gas traders. Without tax cuts, domestic gas prices will continue to rise.


The country currently imports roughly 60 percent of its total gas needs.


Thang also said that the import tax rate of 5 percent had been set by the Ministry of Finance when the world gas price was 200 USD per tonne but with prices now at 1,000 USD per tonne, the previous tax rate was too high.


Earlier this month, the country’s largest gas provider PV Gas offered discounts of 5,000 VND on 12kg canisters to stabilise the domestic gas market. The price cut was made possible by domestic supply from the Dung Quat Oil Refinery.


Source: VNA


Source: QDND

CNN: North Korea agrees to return of UN nuclear inspectors

In Uncategorized on December 20, 2010 at 6:27 am

SEOUL, Dec 20, 2010 (AFP) – North Korea has agreed with US troubleshooter Bill Richardson to permit the return of UN nuclear inspectors as part of a package of measures to ease tensions on the peninsula, CNN reported Monday.


CNN correspondent Wolf Blitzer, who is travelling with Richardson in Pyongyang, said the North Koreans had agreed to let inspectors from the UN’s International Atomic Energy Agency go back to its Yongbyon nuclear facility.

South Korean President Lee Myung-Bak (L) speaks during a meeting for a duties report on Ministry of Public Administration and Security at the presidential Blue House in Seoul on December 20, 2010. South Korea ordered civilians on five border islands to take shelter ahead of a live-fire exercise on December 20. AFP

They had also agreed to allow fuel rods for the enrichment of uranium to be shipped to an outside country, and to the creation of a military commission and hotline between the two Koreas and the United States, Blitzer said.

d
Source: SGGP

Preval agrees not to release Haiti vote count: OAS

In Uncategorized on December 18, 2010 at 10:26 am

Haitian President Rene Preval has agreed not to release final results of the impoverished country’s disputed elections until after consultations with members of the Organization of American States, an official told AFP.

The candidates in Haiti’s presidential election.

OAS Secretary General Jose Miguel Insulza “spoke with President Preval today and requested a delay of the announcement of the final results of the elections,” assistant secretary general Albert Ramdin told AFP on Friday.


After the call from the OAS, Preval “agreed that he would ask the (Provisional Electoral Council, CEP) not to announce any results for now, until the OAS can help with the clarification process,” Ramdin said.


The Haiti electoral commission has said it will review the results of the presidential elections released earlier this month after Preval’s handpicked candidate Jude Celestin defied predictions to win a place in a run-off vote.


“We will see if everybody agrees these terms of reference, then start the process of clarification and recount,” Ramdin said.


It was also important to not “only focus on the electoral aspect but also on creating momentum for political acceptance of the final outcome of the clarification process,” he added.


The CEP previously has set a December 20 deadline to announce final election results.


The electoral commission plans a recount of tally sheets in the presence of the three main candidates, although popular singer Michel Martelly — ousted in the first round — and Mirlande Manigat — a former first lady who topped the poll — have refused to take part.


Manigat meanwhile Friday said she welcomed a second round in the poll but not with three or more candidates, a possibility that was raised earlier this week by French Foreign Minister Michele Alliot-Marie.


Ramdin on Wednesday visited Haiti after Preval asked for the OAS to set up a mission to help in the recount, which he said could be ready by early next week.


However, Ramdin said the special mission was not prepared to travel to Haiti unless the final election results were delayed.


“There’s no sense in clarifying the election results if those results are made final,” he said.


Ramdin also said the special mission “can only be successful if it is given access to all the information and an independent report is guaranteed.”


The OAS official said that over the weekend Celestin, Manigat and Martelly would be consulted to see if an agreement can be reached on how the recount is to be carried out.


Once an agreement is reached, he added, the recount will begin.


Martelly, who lost the number 2 spot in the November 28 polls by a mere 7,000 votes, on Wednesday warned that his supporters could “take to the streets” to protest what he insists were flawed election results,


“I’m telling you, if they come back to us with bad solutions, the people are going to take to the streets,” he told AFP.


The singer called this week for a re-run of the entire vote, with all 18 candidates taking part in the do-over, and the victor claiming Haiti’s presidency.


UN peacekeepers in riot gear had to restore order in major cities last week after at least five people were killed in politically charged riots, but the streets of Port-au-Prince have been calm since Friday.


Haiti’s chaotic election was carried out amid widespread allegations of fraud and the disenfranchisement of thousands of quake survivors and slum dwellers, who either couldn’t get the necessary papers to vote or weren’t on the register.


 

Source: SGGP

NATO agrees on Europe-wide missile defence system

In Uncategorized on November 20, 2010 at 6:13 am

Traditional medicine forum agrees on plan

In Uncategorized on November 5, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Vedan agrees to compensate farmers

In Uncategorized on October 14, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Taiwanese MSG company Vedan has finally consented to compensate farmers to the tune of VND45.7 billion (US$2.4million) and VND53.6 billion (US$2.8 million) to both Ho Chi Minh City farmers and those from neighboring province Ba Ria-Vung Tau, said Nguyen Van Phung, chairman of the HCMC Farmer Association.

Vedan has agreed to compensate famers in HCMC and Ba Ria-Vung Tau, who are affected by environment pollution caused by the company as it had released untreated wastewater for years.Vedan August 9 also claimed it would determine the indemnity for farmers in Dong Nai Province within the next three days, Phung said.

It has been scheduled that Vedan and representatives from HCMC and Ba Ria-Vung Tau would sign agreement papers on the compensation August 13. One week later, the company will deliver 50 percent of the money to the provinces. Vedan has proposed releasing the remainder from January 10-14, 2011.


Localities’ representatives have yet to approve the timeline suggested by Vedan, Phung said.


Nguyen Van Hau, attorney for HCMC’s Can Gio district farmers in their lawsuit against Vedan, said that he and his colleague, lawyer Nguyen Trong Nghia, would work with the HCMC Farmer Association to write a compensation report for Vedan.


Farmers would drop their lawsuit against Vedan, as the company agreed to compensate them, Hau said.


However, Nguyen Duc, chairman of Dong Nai Province Lawyers Association, said that though Vedan has accepted to pay reparations, farmers still have the right to continue with their lawsuit against the company if they choose.

Source: SGGP

Vedan agrees to compensate farmers

In Uncategorized on August 10, 2010 at 7:20 am

Taiwanese MSG company Vedan has finally consented to compensate farmers to the tune of VND45.7 billion (US$2.4million) and VND53.6 billion (US$2.8 million) to both Ho Chi Minh City farmers and those from neighboring province Ba Ria-Vung Tau, said Nguyen Van Phung, chairman of the HCMC Farmer Association.

Vedan has agreed to compensate famers in HCMC and Ba Ria-Vung Tau, who are affected by environment pollution caused by the company as it had released untreated wastewater for years.Vedan August 9 also claimed it would determine the indemnity for farmers in Dong Nai Province within the next three days, Phung said.

It has been scheduled that Vedan and representatives from HCMC and Ba Ria-Vung Tau would sign agreement papers on the compensation August 13. One week later, the company will deliver 50 percent of the money to the provinces. Vedan has proposed releasing the remainder from January 10-14, 2011.


Localities’ representatives have yet to approve the timeline suggested by Vedan, Phung said.


Nguyen Van Hau, attorney for HCMC’s Can Gio district farmers in their lawsuit against Vedan, said that he and his colleague, lawyer Nguyen Trong Nghia, would work with the HCMC Farmer Association to write a compensation report for Vedan.


Farmers would drop their lawsuit against Vedan, as the company agreed to compensate them, Hau said.


However, Nguyen Duc, chairman of Dong Nai Province Lawyers Association, said that though Vedan has accepted to pay reparations, farmers still have the right to continue with their lawsuit against the company if they choose.

Source: SGGP

Environmental ministry agrees to help farmers sue Vedan

In Uncategorized on August 5, 2010 at 11:19 am

The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment August 4 agreed to a proposal which would advance farmers in Ba Ria – Vung Tau Province VND2.6 billion (US$130,000) to cover legal fees involved with suing the Taiwanese MSG company Vedan.

Taiwanese MSG company Vedan

The money will come from the Vietnam Environment Protection Fund, said a representative from the ministry.


According to Tran Van Cuong, deputy chairman of Ba Ria – Vung Tau Province’s Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, the Tan Thanh District People’s Court has received 700 of 1,255 petitions of affected farmers requesting Vedan pay for damages.


Lawsuit applications against Vedan are expected to be filed with the district People’s Court on August 12, Cuong said.


On the same day, lawyer Nguyen Duc, Chairman of Dong Nai Province Lawyer Association said lawyers, acting on behalf of farmers, filed 30 petitions to bring Vedan to court.


To date, lawyers in Dong Nai Province have instructed 2,500 households to complete legal procedures necessary to sue Vedan.

Source: SGGP

British PM agrees to see US senators on Lockerbie

In Uncategorized on July 20, 2010 at 11:24 am

WASHINGTON (AFP) – British Prime Minister David Cameron has agreed to meet during his visit to Washington with four US senators angry over the Lockerbie bomber’s release, his spokesman said Tuesday.


The British embassy in the US capital had originally said Cameron would not have time to meet the lawmakers as he had a full schedule, and would instead ask British Ambassador Nigel Sheinwald to see them.

British Prime Minister David Cameron seen in Hertfordshire, on July 16, 2010. AFP

But his spokesman later said the prime minister, on his first visit to Washington since taking office in May, had changed his plans and would invite the senators for a discussion later Tuesday at the British ambassador’s residence.


“The prime minister recognises the strength of feeling and knows how important it is to reassure the families of the victims,” said the spokesman.


“We are happy to see them face to face and find time in the diary.”


Democratic Senators Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand of New York and Frank Lautenberg and Robert Menendez of New Jersey wrote a letter to Cameron Monday asking to meet with him to discuss the Lockerbie case.


The lawmakers said they hoped to discuss “what we can all do to provide greater transparency into the circumstances surrounding the release, address the injustice, and ensure that a similar mistake is not repeated.”


The quartet said US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had advised them that she had requested Cameron’s government to “review the facts and circumstances” leading up to the release of Libyan Abdelbaset Ali Mohmet al-Megrahi.


Megrahi, the only person convicted of the 1988 bombing of a US Pan Am jumbo jet over the Scottish town of Lockerbie in which 270 people were killed, was freed from a Scottish jail last year.


He had been sentenced to life imprisonment but was freed in August on compassionate grounds after doctors said he had only three months left to live. Reports have since emerged that he could live another 10 years.


Britain has called the release a “mistake,” but said there was no evidence to back up media reports linking Megrahi’s release to BP’s efforts to safeguard a lucrative oil exploration deal with Libya.


Menendez earlier described Cameron’s initial refusal to meet with him and his fellow senators as “disappointing”, adding that “it is critical for us to get the full story from the British government.”

d
Source: SGGP

ADB agrees $60 mln loans to help Vietnam improve healthcare

In Uncategorized on June 23, 2010 at 12:37 pm

The Asian Development Bank (ADB) said it approved on Tuesday US$60 million in loans for Vietnam to help the country improve its health services.


The lender said the loans are for the Vietnam Health Human Resources Sector Development Program, which is co-financed with an US$11 million grant from the Government of Australia.


ADB said the program gives priorities to poor, remote communities which lack skilled workers and quality health facilities.

(File) A doctor (R) examines an old woman in the southern province of Tay Ninh (Photo: Tay Ninh Red Cross website)

“The program will improve health care services for the poor in remote communities by strengthening the capacity of health facilities, training institutions and health workers to serve their special needs,” Sjoerd Postma, senior health specialist in ADB’s Southeast Asia Department, said in Tuesday’s statement.


The bank said a US$30 million program loan will support reforms such as the Law on Examination and Treatment to govern the operation of health facilities and the registration and practice of health professionals; a new plan to upgrade teaching institutions; and the adoption of new models for costing and managing service delivery in district hospitals.


Another US$30 million project loan will support investments linked to planned policy actions in key sector institutions.


Both loans are from ADB’s concessional Asian Development Fund.


ADB said it has financed six health projects in Vietnam, but this is the first sector development program.


“The program approach gives ADB an opportunity to support policy reforms with accompanying investments to address critical quality, efficiency and human resource constraints,” the bank said.


The Ministry of Health is the executing agency for the program and associated project, which is expected to be completed by end December 2015.

Source: SGGP