wiki globe

Posts Tagged ‘cases’

10,000 congenital cardiac cases operations performed

In Uncategorized on December 16, 2010 at 2:27 pm




10,000 congenital cardiac cases operations performed


QĐND – Thursday, December 16, 2010, 21:5 (GMT+7)

19 cardiovascular surgery centers nationwide have performed surgeries for around 10,000 cardiac patients since the beginning of this year.


The figure was unveiled at a ceremony to sum up cardiovascular operations in 2010 held in Hanoi on December 15th.


According to Associate Professor cum Doctor Nguyen Huu Uoc, head of the thoracic-cardiovascular surgery ward of Vietnam-Germany Friendship Hospital, 1,800 out of 10,000 cases nationwide had been performed in the hospital.


2010 marks the 32nd anniversary of the cooperation on cardiovascular between Vietnam and France.


Over the past three decades, many leading cardiovascular professors and doctors from France have supported Vietnam in congenital or neonatal cardiac diagnosis and treatment and open-heart surgeries. 


France has helped Vietnam train many experts and develop Vietnam’s cardiovascular sector, saving the lives of thousands of patients.


Also at the ceremony, the Ministry of Health presented medals “For the health of people” to French experts for their great contributions to the cause of caring for Vietnamese people’s health.


The medal is also a token of gratitude of Vietnam Cardiovascular Surgeons and Doctors of different generations to French professors and doctors who have been working hard to help Vietnam over more than 30 years.


Source: LDO


Translated by Mai Huong


Source: QDND

Haiti toll rises above 250, new cases taper off

In Uncategorized on October 25, 2010 at 9:38 am

Haiti cholera deaths rose above 250 but the number of new infections and fatalities began to taper off, offering hope the epidemic might have been contained.


The new toll of 253 dead and 3,115 infections, provided by the director general of Haiti’s health department Gabriel Thimote, represented an increase of only 33 fatalities over a 24-hour period.


The disease “is limited to a well-defined perimeter” in the northern region of Artibonite and part of the central plateau, Foreign Minister Marie-Michele Rey told reporters.


Speaking in Switzerland where she was attending a summit of French-speaking nations, Rey said that for the time being “those who are on the spot appear to be able to contain the situation.”


But fears linger of a major health crisis should the outbreak infiltrate Port-au-Prince’s squalid tent cities, where hundreds of thousands live in awful conditions after being displaced by January’s earthquake.

Sick victims and families wait at St. Nicolas Hospital in St. Marc, north of Port-au-Prince. Haiti cholera deaths rose above 250 but the number of new infections and fatalities began to taper off, offering hope the epidemic might have been contained

Cholera is primarily passed on through contaminated water or food and could spread like wildfire through the unsanitary tent cities, where displaced families bathe outside, do laundry and share meals in close quarters.


Only five people in the capital have been diagnosed with cholera so far and the UN’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said they had all traveled in from the epicenter of the outbreak in the Artibonite river area.


“These cases thus do not represent a spread of the epidemic because this is not a new location of infection,” the UN body said, adding that the development was, however, “worrying.”


Contamination of the Artibonite River, an artery crossing Haiti’s rural center that thousands of people use for much of their daily activities, is believed to be the source of the epidemic.


Regional health director Dieula Louissaint stressed the need to isolate patients to contain the spread of the disease, which, with its characteristic severe vomiting and diarrhea, can dehydrate and kill in a matter of hours.


“We cannot continue to treat cholera in this structure where we are also seeing other kinds of patients,” Louissaint said. “We need to establish specific treatment centers.”


Around 3,000 people have been admitted to hospitals and health centers near Saint-Marc, a main town several hours northwest of the capital.


More than 50 inmates at a prison in the center of the country have also been infected and three have died, officials said.


“The situation is under control. The population should not give in to panic, but people must take hygienic measures seriously,” advised Jocelyne Pierre-Louis, a physician with the health ministry.


President Rene Preval and Health Minister Alex Larsen toured regions affected by the epidemic on Saturday, as authorities vowed they were working to provide clean water to residents.


On Friday, the health ministry asked the United Nations operations in Haiti to take charge of distributing medication sent by international donors.


Doctors Without Borders was setting up a field hospital in Saint Marc to treat patients and Oxfam sent five emergency specialists to Artibonite to set up water, sanitation and hygiene facilities for up to 100,000 people.


The Canadian government has offered to set up a military hospital on the ground and the United States has pledged to set up large tents to treat patients.

Canada, which has its own sizable Haitian population, also offered to send one million Canadian dollars to help fight the spread of the outbreak.

“Canada is worried about the risk that this serious disease spreads to other communities,” Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said.

The aid agency Oxfam said it will distribute soap, water tablets and rehydration salt packs to 25,000 HaItians as part of the effort to rein in the cholera outbreak.

“We are obviously concerned about the spread of cholera to Port-au-Prince,” Oxfam’s health advisor Raphael Mutiku said.

Still, he stressed, “earthquake victims living in and around the capital have better access to clean water, latrines and better knowledge of good hygiene practices than in rural areas.”

“We are working as quickly as possible to stop the spread of cholera. We have a lot of resources in the country right now and luckily this is a very preventable and treatable disease,” Mutiku added.

World Vision meanwhile also sent teams fanning out to distribute emergency health supplies and address cholera preventative measures.

“While we can’t be sure the direction this will take, we’re preparing for challenging weeks ahead,” said World Vision’s Program Director in Port-au-Prince, Sabrina Pourmand Nolen.

“Right now, the priority is to continue doing everything we can to stop the spread of this fast-moving disease,” she added.

The US branch of the Red Cross said Saturday that three large shipments of supplies had arrived on Haiti, already considered the poorest country in the western hemisphere even before January’s 7.0-magnitude quake.

Large parts of the capital Port-au-Prince and other nearby towns were flattened, a quarter of a million people lost their lives and even more were displaced after losing their homes.

But up until this week, Haiti had at least been spared a major disease outbreak and aid workers are now desperately trying to keep the cholera at bay before it causes a second disaster for the nation in just 10 months.

Further bad news for Haiti, US scientists reported that the January 12 earthquake had failed to release all the tension in a notorious seismic fault, leaving its capital exposed to the risk of another seismic disaster.

Source: SGGP

Obama vows to cut HIV cases with new AIDS strategy

In Uncategorized on July 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm

WASHINGTON (AFP) – President Barack Obama declared Tuesday that any new case of HIV/AIDS was one too many, as he rolled out a new national strategy to cut infections and improve care for those with the disease.

The White House displays a large red ribbon for World AIDS day in 2009. (AFP file)

Thirty years after the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) burst to global attention, the first-ever National HIV/AIDS Strategy will demand action from federal, state and tribal governments and medical and scientific communities.


It envisages cutting the annual number of new domestic infections by 25 percent over five years.


“The question is not whether we know what to do, but whether we will do it?” Obama said, as he officially unveiled the new strategy at a reception for HIV/AIDS activists at the White House.


“We are here because we believe that while HIV transmission rates in this country are not as high as they once were, every new case is one case too many.


“We are here because we believe in an America where those living with HIV/AIDS are not viewed with suspicion but treated with respect, where they are provided the medications and the healthcare they need.”


In a vision statement, Obama’s strategy says “the United States will become a place where new HIV infections are rare.”


Those who are infected, regardless of age, gender, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or economic level, will get “unfettered access to high-quality, life-extending care, free from stigma and discrimination.”


The HIV/AIDS epidemic in the United States has claimed nearly 600,000 lives, although the disease has faded from the headlines in recent years, as new life-extending anti-retroviral drug therapies have emerged.


But around 56,000 people still become infected with HIV every year.


There are currently 1.1 million Americans living with HIV, according to US government figures.


Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said the new strategy represented a turning point for US government policy.


“Either we could chose to get used to HIV and AIDS and accept that it was a permanent feature of US society … or we could chose to double down and refocus our efforts,” she said.


“We refuse to accept a stalemate — to dig in and just hold the disease at bay.”


The new Obama strategy has three goals: to reduce the number of new infections; to increase access to care for those with HIV; and to reduce HIV-related health disparities.


The new strategy recognizes the tight fiscal straitjacket under which the administration is operating, after the worst financial crisis in decades.


It states that better results should be possible to achieve within existing funding levels and says the case for additional investments where they are required should be highlighted.


The plan includes more than 100 specific directives to federal agencies to develop standards for prevention programs and other steps to meet the new goals.


The plan is designed to intensify HIV prevention efforts in most at risk communities, including gay and bisexual men, African-American men and women, the Latino community, addicts and drug users.


It also envisages improving the education of all Americans about HIV/AIDS and how to prevent the spread of the disease.


The administration also plans to use the new Obama health care reform plan passed this year as a platform for expanding treatment of HIV/AIDS for the most vulnerable communities.


During the event, in the ornate East Room of the White House, Obama was interrupted by one guest who shouted “Mr President!”


Obama closed down the man’s protest by saying he would chat to the man after his speech: “That’s why I invited you here, right? So you don’t have to yell.”


Obama’s plan drew mainly praise from groups fighting AIDS. Georges Benjamin, executive director of the American Public Health Association, called the new strategy “a lifesaving public health intervention.”


Jennifer Kates of the Kaiser Family Foundation said more efforts are needed to fight AIDS.


“People are just not as concerned about HIV,” Kates said. “There is a sense we have treatments, that HIV doesn’t seem as bad as it used to. … There is more complacency.”


Obama announced in October that his administration would end a ban on people with HIV/AIDS traveling to the United States, which rights groups had branded discriminatory and harmful.


The measure came into force in January.


The United States has also contributed tens of billions of dollars for HIV/AIDS relief around the world, with the President’s Plan for Emergency AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) — one of the most lauded legacy achievements of former president George W. Bush.

d
Source: SGGP

106 cases of acute diarrhea detected in five northern provinces

In Uncategorized on May 15, 2010 at 12:58 pm

106 cases of acute diarrhea were detected in five northern cities and provinces, however, which kinds of food causing disease are unidentified so far, said the Central Hygiene and Epidemiology Institute.

People may contract the virulent vibrio cholera virus from sidewalk food.

Five cities and provinces include Hanoi and Hai Phong cities, Ha Nam, Hai Duong and Bac Ninh provinces.


A 65-year-old woman in Hanoi has recently tested positive for the bacteria Vobrio cholera, said the central.


The second case was tested positive for the bacteria in the northern province of Hai Duong, Bui Huy Nhanh, director of Hai Duong Department of Preventive Health said on May 14.


The first case was detected in April.


On the same day, Dr. Nguyen Hong Ha, deputy director of the National Institute of Infectious said the institute received many patients from Hanoi and adjacent provinces with symptoms such as scarlet fever, septicemia, and bronchitis, however, causes of the disease have been unidentified so far.


 


Source: SGGP

Hai Duong reports 16 cases of acute diarrhea

In Uncategorized on April 19, 2010 at 9:48 am

Five in 16 cases of acute diarrhea reported in northern province of Hai Duong were tested positive for the virulent vibrio cholera virus, a health official said on April 18.

People may contract the virulent vibrio cholera virus from sidewalk food.

Bui Huy Nhanh, director of the province’s Preventive Health Department said that all of the sixteen patients live in the same village of Binh Giang district. They are being treated in local hospital and medical clinic


Epidemiologists said they all ate food at the funeral ceremony in a neighbor village.


Medical workers of the district clinic have sprayed chemicals to disinfect the environment and water as well as kept an eye on other 250 participants to the ceremony and investigated the origin of the food used at the funeral.


Five cities and provinces have reported outbreaks of acute diarrhea and cholera, said the Department of Preventive Health, part of the Ministry of Health.


Dr. Nguyen Huy Nga, head of the Department of Preventive Medicine and Environment, warned that the disease was at high risk of spreading because of unpredictable sweltering weather in southern provinces.


“In addition, scorching weather leads to severe shortage of fresh and clean water so residents must use unclean water”, he added.


Moreover, food easily turns spoiled in the hot weather, causing people contaminated with the virus

Source: SGGP

More bird flu cases arising in Vietnam

In Uncategorized on April 6, 2010 at 9:11 am

Another person suffering from a severe case of avian influenza is being treated at the National Tropical Diseases Hospital in Hanoi, the hospital announced on April 5.

Vets will spray chemicals to disinfect the areas where have had infected bird flu patients

A 22-year-old male from the northern province of Bac Kan, the sixth bird flu case since the beginning of the year, is in serious condition and requires the use of a breathing machine, said the hospital’s director Nong Quoc Chi.


The patient was transferred to the hospital from the province’s General Hospital on April 3 with symptoms including a cough and high fever.


Tests conducted by the National Epidemiology Institute on April 4 showed he was positive for the bird flu virus (A/H5N1).


An investigation has revealed there were dead waterfowl in the man’s neighborhood. Four other residents from the man’s commune also showing bird flu symptoms have been quarantined and are also under treatment at the National Tropical Diseases Hospital.


Bird flu has claimed two lives in Vietnam so far this year.

Source: SGGP

Vietnam confirms 88 more super-flu cases

In Social life on October 13, 2009 at 3:03 am




Vietnam confirms 88 more super-flu cases


QĐND – Sunday, October 11, 2009, 20:34 (GMT+7)

An additional 88 people were infected with the A/H1N1 virus on October 10, bringing the country’s total number of infections to 9,956 with 23 fatalities. 


The Department of Preventive Medicine and the Environment under the Ministry of Health (MoH) said that more than 8,950 patients have been discharged from hospital.


As the epidemic broke out in 59 out of 63 provinces and cities across the country, the MoH has urged the people to protect themselves and the community by implementing preventive measures. 


Source: VOV


Source: QDND Bookmark & Share

Vietnam confirms 88 more super-flu cases

In Social life on October 11, 2009 at 1:44 pm




Vietnam confirms 88 more super-flu cases


QĐND – Sunday, October 11, 2009, 20:34 (GMT+7)

An additional 88 people were infected with the A/H1N1 virus on October 10, bringing the country’s total number of infections to 9,956 with 23 fatalities. 


The Department of Preventive Medicine and the Environment under the Ministry of Health (MoH) said that more than 8,950 patients have been discharged from hospital.


As the epidemic broke out in 59 out of 63 provinces and cities across the country, the MoH has urged the people to protect themselves and the community by implementing preventive measures. 


Source: VOV


Source: QDND

Over 200 new cases of swine flu reported in Vietnam

In Vietnam Health on September 28, 2009 at 9:09 am








A/H1N1 flu patients treated at Pham Ngoc Thach Hospital in HCM City (Photo: Tuoi tre)

Vietnam confirmed 206 new cases of A/H1N1on Sunday, bringing the total number of infections to 8,419 and 14 deaths. Of the total cases, 6,736 have been discharged from hospital.


A Health Ministry spokesman, Nguyen Huy Nga, said the epidemic had spread to 56 provinces and cities, adding that just a few northern mountainous provinces are still untouched by the disease.


Dr. Nguyen Van Kinh, of the National Institute of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, said that no deaths have been reported in the North, despite an increase of swine flu patients there.


Source: SGGP

MoH urges professional care as A/H1N1 cases climb

In Vietnam Health on September 15, 2009 at 5:16 pm

The Health Ministry has recommended that people protect themselves and the community by strictly following measures to control the A/H1N1 epidemic and going to a health centre at the first sign of illness.








Students of Thanh Binh Private High School wear medical facemasks in the class. After the opening of the new academic year, more students contract the flu (Photo: Tuoi tre)

People should also not use Tamiflu without a prescription, it also said.


The recommendation was made on the heels of the latest fatality – Vietnam ’s sixth. A girl, from the southern province of Ben Tre , fell ill on September 3 and bought medicine to treat by herself at home.


Her condition worsened and she was hospitalised on September 5, testing positive for the flu virus on September 11. Despite being treated with Tamiflu, she died on September 12.


The Health Ministry on Sept. 14 confirmed 238 more cases of A/H1N1 infection, including 170 in the south, 40 in the north, 19 in the central region and the remaining nine in the Central Highlands .


The new cases brought the number of A/H1N1 patients in the country so far to 4,902, including six deaths, of which 4,481 people have been discharged from hospital and the remainder is currently quarantined for treatment.


Source: SGGP