wiki globe

Posts Tagged ‘Fishermen’

Two of five missing fishermen found dead in Thua Thien-Hue

In Uncategorized on December 19, 2010 at 7:56 am

Border soldiers found a second body, that of Ho Van Chay on Saturday in the central province of Thua Thien-Hue.  He was one of the five fishermen missing at sea, after huge waves swallowed their boat in waters off Lang Co town, three days ago.

Provincial officials in Thua Thien-Hue meet Nguyen Quan, the only survivor of the sunk boat (Photo: SGGP)

On December 17, the body of Tran Chuong had been recovered while authorities were able to save 34 year old Nguyen Quan.


The accident was caused by giant waves and fierce winds lashing the area as a northerly cold front has affected the country for the last few days. The boat was on its way to Chan May Port when it was overwhelmed by the ferocious waves.


The local army personnel and authorities have mobilized 35 soldiers to continue search for the remaining two fishermen.


Phu Loc District has assisted each of the five fishermen’s families with VND3 million.


In the northern province of Hai Phong, 23 members on board the Phu Tan Vessel have gone missing for three days and have as yet not been found. Rescue forces are continuing the search operations.

Related article:
Cold front lashes central region

Source: SGGP

Eight fishermen rescued after boat hit by cargo vessel

In Uncategorized on December 16, 2010 at 9:32 am


Eight fishermen were rescued after their boat was hit by an cargo-boat which run away after the accident offshore the central province of Thua Thien Hue on November 28.

Fishing boats in Thua Thien Hue Province’s Thuan An seaport. (File photo)


The accident took place at around 11 pm, when the boat was fishing in the sea. The boat carrying eight fishermen, including captain Nguyen Cong Duyen, 50, was hit by cargo vessel 195 Ha Minh from Hai Phong.


Chairman of Vinh Thanh Commune  Dao Duy Phuong said it involved 20 fishing boats in the local in rescuing the fishermen and fishing the sinking boat out of the sea.


The authorities are also looking for the cargo-boat.


In related news, authorities from the central province of Quang Ngai on November 29 sent workers to the Hoang Sa (Paracel) archipelago area in an effort to salvage 16 fishermen on a sinking boat.


Fishing boat QNg 96020 from Quang Ngai Province’s Ly Son Island sank after its water pumping system broke November 26.


The fishermen on board sent SOS signals while bailing out seawater from the boat.
Local sea police plan to either fix the boat or tow it home as soon as possible.


 

Source: SGGP

Fishermen fear for livelihoods as Gulf focus shifts

In Uncategorized on July 30, 2010 at 7:19 am

US spill chief Thad Allen failed Thursday to reassure desperate fishermen about their Gulf of Mexico oil clean-up jobs, while BP began the legal wrangling in a massive civil trial.


As engineers prepared next week’s vital operations to permanently kill the capped BP well, Allen met with parish presidents and Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal in New Orleans to discuss how to safeguard local jobs going forward.


With little oil now floating in the Gulf, there are fears the popular “Vessels of Opportunity” program that employs fishing boats to skim crude off the surface of the sea might have to be scrapped.

Kerry Parfait, a skimming boat worker, stands near idle boats after they were forced to port because of Hurricane Alex in June 2010 in Port Fourchon, Louisiana.

Allen pledged to redeploy as many skippers as possible to other tasks, but could give no firm indication of how many of the 1,500 boats would still be working in the Gulf after next month.


“Obviously as we transition into a point where there’s not the threat of a spill, the involvement of Vessels of Opportunity is going to necessarily change,” he said after the meeting.


Allen said that over the next 10 days he would work with parish presidents and the governor to hammer out a plan for the fishermen and what to do with the program through to the end of August.


A large portion of the Gulf waters remain closed to commercial and recreational fishing and with lingering doubts about seafood safety, fishermen could effectively end up losing their jobs for a second time.


“The fishermen have missed a year, and we don?t know what the impact is going to be next year, or the year after that,” said Marty O?Connell, an environmental scientist at the University of New Orleans.


Many are worried it could be months or even years before they can fish again, and there are no guarantees the fish will be there in the same numbers when they do, or that they will be safe to eat.


“If BP uses the capping of the well as an excuse to minimize its clean-up operations, then shame on them,” said Mike Frenette, whose five boats in Venice, Louisiana missed an entire summer’s fishing due to the disaster.


Frenette had to apply four times before getting two of his five boats onto the program, which pays between 600 and 3,500 dollars a day, depending on the size of the boat.


“All that our Vessels of Opportunity work is doing is counting against our compensation claim. We?re not making any money, here, we?re just trying to keep our heads above water.”


Many disgruntled fishermen are expected to seek compensation for lost earnings and personal injury in the courts, and in Boise, Idaho on Thursday lawyers for disaster victims opened the first stage in a massive civil trial.


The hearing brought together a wide array of people and players linked to the disaster triggered by an April 20 explosion aboard the Deepwater Horizon rig, some 50 miles (80 kilometers) off the coast of Louisiana.


Plaintiffs range from the families of the 11 workers killed in the explosion to Gulf fishermen whose catch has been contaminated by the spill, threatening them with financial ruin.


A seven-judge panel will decide over the next few weeks whether to consolidate the litigation into one or several cases, and where the trial or trials should take place.


BP and other firms named in the claims argued for the venue to be the oil headquarters of Houston, Texas, but victims’ lawyers said it should be somewhere closer to those hit hardest by the disaster, like New Orleans. Joining BP in court were Transocean, which leased the rig to BP, Cameron International, which manufactured the blowout preventer, the device which should have shut down the well but failed to work properly, and Halliburton, the oil services company which had finished cementing the well only 20 hours before the rig exploded.


BP hopes to begin a “static kill” operation as early as this weekend to plug the capped well with drilling mud and cement. Five days later a “bottom kill” through a relief well should finish the job once and for all.

A cap stopped the flow on July 15 after between three and 5.2 million barrels (117.6 million and 189 million gallons) had gushed out, making it likely the disaster is the biggest ever accidental oil spill.

Source: SGGP

Two soldiers died and three missed in finding shipwrecked fishermen

In Uncategorized on May 7, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Two officers, soldiers were dead and three missing while they were looking for  two shipwreck victims in Se-re-pok River, central province of Dac Lac on May 5.


After receiving information about two fishers who were shipwrecked in the river at 7:45 pm on May 5, ten officers and soldiers came to the scene to find the victims. However, at 9:15 pm, seven people including six officers, soldiers and one resident were swept away while they were finding victims in the river because their motorboat was shipwrecked.


Faced with unexpected situation, a rescue group saved two people only – Ngan Van Huyen, 33, the resident and Lieutenant Phu Minh Ngoc Hung.


Until 10 pm the same day, the group found dead body of the sublieutenant Cao Tuan Nam. The dead body of the private first class Chiu Tien Dung also was found at midnight on May 5.


The group also found the two fishers’ body dead on May 6 – Nguyen Van Dan, 36 and Nguyen Van Luan, 18, living at Buon Don District.


Dac Lac Province leaders and the province’s army command leaders came to the scene to guide to look for remain people including Lieutenant Nguyen Manh Hung, sublieutenant Tran Phuoc Minh and private first class Nong Van Tuan.


On May 7, Buon Don District People’s Committee organized a solemn memorial service for two soldiers, said major general Vo Duy Chin.


The Dac Lac Province’s Army Headquarter called for officers, soldiers to share losses with sacrificed soldiers’ relative and their families by actions as well as to continue to look for missing soldiers.

Source: SGGP

Fishermen left high and dry fear for Mekong’s future

In Uncategorized on April 4, 2010 at 9:25 am

VIENTIANE, April 4, 2010 (AFP) – Fisherman Phimmalang Sengphet paddles his boat to the sandy banks of the Mekong River in Laos and inspects his meagre haul. “We can’t even catch enough to feed ourselves,” he says wearily.


The 38-year-old was able to net more than 10 kilos (22 pounds) of fish a day this time last year, but now he is lucky to bring home just half that. He blames the unusually low water levels — the most extreme he has ever seen.

Fisherman Phimmalang Songphet takes off few small fish he caught from Mekong River at Thatkhao village in the suburds of Vientiane on March 27, 2010. AFP photo

“We want to know why. This is our life, catching fish to sell at the market. This is our business to provide for our families,” he says as he wanders back to his village on the outskirts of the capital Vientiane.


Mekong River levels in parts of Laos have hit their lowest in 50 years.


The situation has alarmed the millions who depend on what is the world’s largest inland fishery with an estimated annual catch of about 3.9 million tonnes, according to the Mekong River Commission (MRC).


“In Laos we don’t have the sea, we only have the Mekong for water and for food, so it’s very important to us,” said another villager, 63-year-old Som Sirivath, as she waded waist-deep into the river in search of some supper.


The ebbing flows are not confined to land-locked Laos, one of Asia’s poorest nations.


In the upper Mekong basin in China’s southwest, more than 24 million people are short of drinking water as a result of the worst drought in a century. Downstream, the north of Thailand has also suffered five-decade river lows.


“Many people I know have changed to agricultural work because they can’t live on income from the fishing industry,” said Niwat Roykaew, head of a local conservation group in the northern Thai province of Chiang Rai.


The cause of the dwindling waterway is a matter of fierce debate, with activists pointing the finger upstream to China’s hydropower dams, which they believe channel water away from the upper reaches of the Mekong.


Pianporn Deetes, of campaign group International Rivers, said water levels were not just dropping but “fluctuating unnaturally”, and that disruption to the ecosystem began after China built its first dam more than a decade ago.


“Local people experienced the loss of fish catch, the destruction of aquatic resources,” the Thai environmentalist told a recent forum in Bangkok.


With a dozen dams proposed downstream as well as in China, she said locals were “worrying about the threats to the ecosystem, the livelihoods and food security. Definitely the impact on fisheries is our main concern”.


China, which has eight existing or planned dams on the mainstream river, insists that extreme dry weather conditions are to blame for the current shortage — a claim backed up by findings of the intergovernmental MRC.


Whatever the reason, the problem concerns more than 60 million people who live in the lower Mekong basin and normally each eat 30 to 40 kilograms of fish every year, according to an MRC report released on Saturday.


People in southern Laos, for example, have relied “for generations” on diverse aquatic life for high-protein diets and have livelihoods “closely entwined with the seasonal rhythm of the river”, the report said.


The abnormally low levels are disrupting the vast fishery, raising fears over already endangered species such as the Mekong giant catfish that can weigh up to 350 kilograms, said MRC spokesman Damian Kean.


A shallower river can affect breeding and migration patterns, as well as the waterway’s general ecological health, he said.


The MRC report urged caution over future developments in the basin, warning of dangers posed by both proposed dams and expanding populations.


“Over the past five years, significant changes have taken place in water-related resources and this is likely to continue, which may put livelihoods under threat,” said commission adviser Hanne Bach.


The drought and dam debate were set to dominate an MRC summit in Thailand on management of the river starting Sunday attended by the leaders of Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand, along with ministers from China and Myanmar.


Urgent action is needed to protect the Mekong basin “before it’s too late,” said campaigner Pianporn.

d
Source: SGGP

Vietnam protests inhumane acts against fishermen

In Politics-Society on October 24, 2009 at 3:00 am




Vietnam protests inhumane acts against fishermen


QĐND – Thursday, October 22, 2009, 21:2 (GMT+7)

Vietnam has protested the inhumane acts by Chinese armed workers against Vietnamese fishermen, who tried to take shelter from a storm on the Paracel archipelago, said the Vietnamese spokesperson on October 21.


The incident took place in late September, when fishermen aboard 16 fishing vessels from the central province of Quang Ngai tried to land in the Paracels to escape typhoon Ketsana, and were fired upon by armed Chinese workers. They were then beaten, and their property and equipment were seized after the typhoon abated.


In response to queries about Vietnam’s reaction to the incident, spokesperson Nguyen Phuong Nga said that “the Vietnamese Foreign Ministry on October 21 conveyed a diplomatic note to the Chinese Ambassador to Vietnam to protest these inhumane acts by China’s armed workers against Vietnamese fishermen, who took shelter from a storm on Phu Lam island (called Tru Cau island by the Vietnamese fishermen) in Vietnam’s Paracels archipelago which is occupied by China.”


In the diplomatic note, the Vietnamese Foreign Ministry asked the Chinese side to actively conduct investigations into the case and strictly punish those who took brutal acts against the Vietnamese fishermen, return all property and compensate the victims for damages, as well as take preventive measures to avoid the recurrence of similar acts in future, she added.

Source: VNA/VOVNews

Source: QDND Bookmark & Share

Fishermen hit by falling seafood price

In Uncategorized on September 21, 2008 at 3:52 pm

MEKONG DELTA — Falling seafood prices are cutting into the profits of fishermen in the Mekong Delta, as only 10 per cent of them have received their fuel subsidies from the Government.


The Government offered the subsidy a few months ago to account for rising petrol prices.


Fishermen in Ca Mau Province’s U Minh and Tran Van Thoi Districts said prices of several kinds of fish had fallen by 50 per cent compared to last month.


Tuna prices have dropped from VND21,000 (US$1.27) to VND13,000 ($0.78) per kilo and fresh and dried cuttlefish by 10-15 per cent compared to two weeks ago. Other types of fish including mackerel and scad have dropped by 30-40 per cent in price.


Nam Trieu, a fisherman in Ca Mau, said that he had lost VND30 million (US$1,830) from his most recent fishing trip because of plummeting prices.


Many other fishermen, fearful of the fickle market and higher petrol prices, are postponing trips to sea.


In An Giang Province, several fishing vessels are lying idle on shore due to heavy financial losses.


In Kien Giang Province, some 1,172 fishing boat owners in Rach Gia town have received a total fuel subsidy of VND14.6 billion ($881,642).


Several localities in the province have only just recently filled out the necessary forms to receive the subsidy.


About 1,400 out of 3,400 fishing vessel owners in Ca Mau Province have received subsidies, totalling VND21 billion ($1.27 million).


Ca Mau Province’s Aquaculture Department said it had been working with local authorities to provide subsidies to all fishermen in the province by the end of the year.


Financial support for each fishing trip ranges from VND4 million to VND10 million, depending on the size of fishing boat’s engine.


Each vessel owner can receive a maximum of five payments a year.


To be eligible for the subsidy, fishermen must be permanent legal residents of Viet Nam, own and register their boats, buy insurance for crew members, and possess a fishing licence. —

Fishermen yet to receive Gov’t aid

In Uncategorized on September 10, 2008 at 4:52 pm

HA NOI — Only about 10 per cent of fishermen have received compensation to help them cope with oil-price rises this year, according to the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD).


However, MARD’s Fishery Resource Exploitation and Protection Department director Chu Tien Vinh said a large amount of money would be disbursed by the end of October as many localities had recently started programmes or completed form-filling procedures.


The total scheduled budget for oil compensation in 28 coastal cities and provinces is VND1,612 billion (US$100.75 million).


The department said 21 out of the 28 cities and provinces had started to implement State compensation projects since they were approved in March after the price of petrol first rose in February.


Some officials said the slow implementation was caused by complicated paperwork. This meant that documents to prove eligibility were often left uncompleted, they said.


But irresponsible local authorities were also to blame, according to the department. Seven cities and provinces included in the programme have yet to take the first steps to initiate it, such as providing a full list of fishermen in-need, scheduling budgets for approval and balancing funds.


Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung decided to increase oil compensation for fishermen again in July following a higher-than-ever rise in petrol of VND4,500 per litre announced by the Ministry of Finance.


Financial support for each voyage ranges from VND4 million ($250) to VND10 million ($620), depending on the size of fishing boat motors.


Each vessel can only receive a maximum of five payments a year.


To be eligible for support, fishermen are bound by several conditions. This includes registering their vessels, buying insurance for crew members, obtaining licences for fishing – and being legal permanent residents in Viet Nam. —