wiki globe

Posts Tagged ‘guard’’

S.Korea stays on guard despite N.Korea concessions

In Uncategorized on December 21, 2010 at 9:34 am

A wary South Korea stayed on alert Tuesday despite North Korea’s failure to retaliate for a live-fire drill, as the United States expressed scepticism about Pyongyang’s reported nuclear concessions.


Hours after the South defied North Korea’s threats to stage the exercise near the disputed sea border, the North’s military announced Monday it “did not feel any need to retaliate against every despicable military provocation”.

South Korean marines patrol on the South Korea-controlled island of Yeonpyeong

The comments eased fears of war on the peninsula, following almost a month of high tensions.


The North used a similar artillery drill on Yeonpyeong island on November 23 as a pretext for a bombardment of the island which killed four people including civilians and damaged dozens of homes.


Pyongyang had threatened an even deadlier attack if Monday’s drill went ahead, only to change tack with an unusual display of restraint, which came after China blocked efforts at the UN Security Council to condemn the North.


The South’s military, accused of responding feebly to last month’s attack, said it would keep its guard up.


“This is the most serious crisis in our national defence since the (1950-53) Korean War,” Defence Minister Kim Kwan-Jin told parliament Tuesday.


“We are maintaining thorough military readiness at sea including Yeonpyeong island against possible provocations by the North,” Kim said, promising strong retaliation for any future attack.


The North’s softer stance coincided with apparent concessions on its nuclear programmes to visiting US politician Bill Richardson.


The New Mexico governor, a veteran troubleshooter with the North, said it had offered to re-admit UN nuclear inspectors and to negotiate the sale of fuel rods — capable of producing bomb-making plutonium — to a third party.


The North, Richardson said, had also proposed a military commission grouping the two Koreas and the United States to prevent conflicts in disputed areas of the Yellow Sea, and to reconnect a crisis hotline.


North Korea in April 2009 pulled out of six-nation nuclear disarmament talks and ordered US and UN nuclear inspectors out of the country. It staged its second nuclear test a month later.


The US State Department expressed scepticism.


“North Korea talks a great game. They always do. The real issue is what will they do,” said spokesman Philip Crowley.


“If they are agreeable to returning IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) inspectors to their country, they have to tell the IAEA that.


“We’ve seen a string of broken promises by North Korea going back many, many years.”


The South, deploying warships and jet fighters to guard against any counterstrike, went ahead with its artillery drill Monday after the UN Security Council failed to agree a statement to ease the crisis.


China blocked moves to criticise its ally the North for last month’s attack, diplomats said.

A senior Seoul government official said the North’s decision not to retaliate was partly swayed by diplomatic concerns.

“I think North Korea does not want to be diplomatically isolated and targeted by all (key) members of the Security Council,” he told reporters on condition of anonymity.

The official said recent provocations were linked to North Korean efforts to strengthen the status of Kim Jong-Un as eventual successor to his father, leader Kim Jong-Il.

Similar attacks were staged in the 1980s when Kim Jong-Il was trying to bolster his own status as a strong and capable future leader, he said. “This is the same situation, different people.”

The official also said the North may not have attacked on Monday because the South’s military was fully prepared. “North Korea has already implied it might be tempted to make another strike or provocation — we have to watch.”

Source: SGGP

Two Chinese missing after clash with S.Korea coast guard

In Uncategorized on December 18, 2010 at 9:57 am

Two Chinese fishermen are missing and another is in a critical condition after their trawler collided with a South Korean coastguard ship Saturday and capsized, officials said.

South Korean Coast Guard patrols near a group of disputed islets.

Four coastguard officers were also injured as they tried to arrest the crew of the Chinese boat for illegal fishing off South Korea’s Eocheong island in the Yellow Sea.


The Chinese fishermen attacked the Korean officers with iron pipes and clubs, the Yonhap news agency quoted the coastguard as saying.


The 63-ton Chinese boat capsized after it collided with the 3,000-ton coastguard ship, leaving two of its crew members missing. Eight other Chinese were rescued but one was in a coma and taken to hospital by helicopter.


Eight boats and four helicopters were searching for the missing.


Illegal Chinese fishing is common in South Korean waters. In 2008 a South Korean coast guard officer was attacked and drowned while trying to inspect a Chinese boat operating illegally.


 

Source: SGGP

California deploys National Guard to Mexico border

In Uncategorized on August 19, 2010 at 11:22 am

LOS ANGELES, Aug 19, 2010 (AFP) – California is deploying a first group of 224 National Guard troops to its southern border with Mexico to assist Border Patrol agents attempting to stem the flow of drugs and illegal immigrants.


“Today, our National Guard has been called to help secure the border and protect the safety of the American people,” said Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.


“I am proud that we are the first state to have our troops operational for this mission,” he added at an event in San Diego, a border town some 200 kilometers south of Los Angeles which neigbhours the Mexican city of Tijuana.


Schwarzenegger stressed the deployment was not an alternative to a legislative solution to deal with illegal immigration, an issue President Barack Obama has been unable to tackle amid widespread opposition to immigration reform and amnesty for the millions of people in America illegally.


“We must find a permanent solution to our broken immigration system,” he said.


“We need the federal government to step up with even more manpower and funding, and I will continue to push President Obama and Congress for action.”


Obama last week signed legislation sending drones and an additional 1,500 new agents to the US border with Mexico, which runs across the states of California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.


The legislation also provides an additional 600 million dollars to combat drug, arms and people trafficking across the border.

d
Source: SGGP

Border guard force coordinates with SGGP to support the poor

In Uncategorized on July 15, 2010 at 12:49 pm

A memorandum of understanding about cooperation on propaganda information related to border guards and activities to support to residents at border and island areas was signed between Sai Gon Giai Phong newspaper Editor-in-Chief Tran The Tuyen and Lieutenant General Vo Trong Viet, political commissar of the Command of the Border Guard Force, on July 7.

(L-R) Editor-in-Chief  Tran The Tuyen, Lt. Gen. Vo Trong Viet, SGGP journalist Nguyen Duc Quang pose for picture after the signing of the MoU. (Photo: SGGP)


Under the memorandum of understanding, the Border Guard Force will supply information frequently and create advantageous conditions to help SGGP reporters to penetrate the reality of provincial borderlines and their guard forces, as well as island border areas.


SGGP will also receive updated information pertaining to the border guard force’s activities to protect the sovereignty, security and safety of land border areas as well as for disaster protection.


Speaking at the signing ceremony, Chief Editor Tuyen said that SGGP reporters are always interested in national defense work, propaganda activities related to border security and sovereignty protection and pay close attention to improving conditions for the poor and other social policy beneficiaries in the areas.


SGGP will allocate more than VND50 billion (US$2.5 million) collected from a charity music performance to build many houses for residents along border areas, Mr. Tuyen said.

Source: SGGP

‘Nazi guard’ Demjanjuk to face Holocaust survivors

In World on December 1, 2009 at 4:58 am

John Demjanjuk was due to face Holocaust survivors in court on Tuesday on the second day of his Nazi war crimes trial, amid doubts on whether the 89-year-old is as ill as he makes out.








Ukrainian-born John Demjanjuk is led out of the courtroom on a stretcher at the end of the first day of his trial at Munich’s regional court.

Demjanjuk appeared on the first day of what is likely to be the last major Holocaust trial first in a wheelchair, moaning as he was wheeled out before being brought in for the second session laid out on a stretcher.


At the end of the day’s proceedings in Munich, however, after most reporters had left the room, an AFP reporter saw Demjanjuk, wearing a baseball cap and a leather jacket, laughing and joking.


Other journalists and lawyers representing Holocaust survivors had previously also witnessed an apparently much more active Demjanjuk than he appeared in court. Profile: John Demjanjuk


Demjanjuk’s family says he suffers from a litany of health complaints including leukaemia and that it is unlikely he will survive the trial.


But Christoph Nerl, a specialist in blood diseases, told the court that the defendant was suffering from a lesser complaint “which is definitely not leukaemia” and that Demjanjuk was “in a low-risk group.”


Efraim Zuroff, head of the Nazi-hunting Simon Wiesenthal Centre in Jerusalem, was also unmoved, saying: “It’s a pathetic attempt to appear more crippled than he is. He belongs in Hollywood.”


“People like Demjanjuk don’t deserve any sympathy because he had no sympathy for his victims,” he said.


Demjanjuk is accused of helping to kill 27,900 people while a guard at the Sobibor death camp in 1943, one of a network of camps erected by Adolf Hitler’s Germany in Eastern Europe with the sole purpose of mass extermination.


He denies the charges, which were due to be formally read out in court on Tuesday, but prosecutors say they have an SS identity card bearing his name and transfer orders.


If convicted, the Ukrainian-born Demjanjuk will almost certainly spend the rest of his days behind bars. If not, he will face an uncertain future as he is stateless, having been stripped of his US citizenship.


Some of the 30 or so plaintiffs in the case, most of whom lost family members at Sobibor, were due to begin giving testimony on Tuesday.


There are no living eyewitnesses who saw Demjanjuk there, so prosecutors will rely heavily on written testimony by people now dead.


One of the co-plaintiffs was set to be Robert Cohen, a gaunt 83-year-old from Amsterdam whose parents and brother died at Sobibor, and who himself survived the Auschwitz death camp.


“If he (Demjanjuk) was there, he killed more than 100 people per day — per day! That would be the worst crime ever,” Cohen told reporters on Monday.


Demjanjuk says he was a Red Army soldier captured in 1942 by the Germans and then moved around various prisoner-of-war camps, but Israeli and US courts have already established he was at Sobibor.


Demjanjuk was sentenced to death in Israel in 1988 for being “Ivan the Terrible”, a sadistic Nazi guard, but after five years on death row the conviction was overturned when Israel established this was another man.


Source: SGGP Bookmark & Share