wiki globe

Posts Tagged ‘killed’

At least seven killed, hundreds injured in Iran quake

In Uncategorized on December 21, 2010 at 9:31 am

At least seven people were killed in a 6.5-magnitude earthquake that jolted southeastern Iran on Monday, damaging buildings in outlying mountainous areas, the region’s governor said.


“Seven people have been killed and hundreds have been injured. Hundreds of people are still trapped under the rubbles,” Esmail Najjar, governor of Iran’s Kerman province, the center of the quake, told the semi-official Mehr news agency.


State television said at least three villages had been destroyed.


The U.S. Geological Survey put the quake’s magnitude at 6.3.


The official IRNA news agency said nine aftershocks had hit since the main quake, including one of magnitude 5. Telephone lines had been cut.


Mohammad Javad Kamyab, an employee of Kerman province governor’s office, told Reuters there were 30 villages in the quake-hit area.


“These villages are not heavily populated…We are not expecting a high death toll and so far 25 people have been injured,” he said.


Another local official said access to the damaged villages “was very difficult.”


“Rescue teams have been dispatched to the quake-hit area … and are communicating via walkie-talkies,” Hossein Baqeri, head of Iran’s National Crisis Management unit, told state television.


The semi-official Fars news agency said the quake was also felt in the southeastern province of Sistan-Baluchestan, which borders Afghanistan and Pakistan.


“Many people left their houses in the city of Zahedan … It was also felt in the towns of Bam, Khash and Iranshahr,” Fars reported.


Ali Reza, a resident of Bam, told Reuters by telephone: “There was no damage in the city of Bam but we felt the quake.”


The province of Kerman is highly prone to earthquakes. Some 31,000 people were killed when an earthquake razed Bam in 2003.


Kerman is not one of the oil-producing regions of Iran, the world’s fourth-biggest crude exporter. Iran is criss-crossed by major faultlines and is frequently hit by earthquakes.


In 2008 a magnitude 6.1 quake struck the southern port of Bandar Abbas, killing at least seven people and injuring 40.


An official in the governor’s office of Kerman province told Reuters by telephone: “The quake-hit area is a deserted area.”


State television, quoting an unnamed local Red Crescent official, said: “In some rural parts of the region … the quake has caused heavy damage to buildings, especially in Hosseinabad village, where the houses were made of earthen bricks.”

Source: SGGP

More than a million Atlantic sharks killed yearly: study

In Uncategorized on November 22, 2010 at 10:07 am

64 killed in Delhi building collapse

In Uncategorized on November 16, 2010 at 8:25 am

51 killed in Delhi building collapse

In Uncategorized on November 16, 2010 at 3:25 am

Seven Christians killed in Iraq church hostage drama

In Uncategorized on November 1, 2010 at 4:12 am

Twelve killed in China coal mine flood: media

In Uncategorized on October 28, 2010 at 7:10 am

Twelve workers were killed and one injured in a flood in a coal mine in southwest China’s Guizhou province, state media said Thursday.

A Chinese miner unloads coal from a train in eastern China’s Anhui province.

The brief report by the Xinhua news agency did not provide further details of the accident, the latest to strike the country’s notoriously dangerous mining sector.


More than 2,600 miners were killed in job-related accidents last year, according to official data — or about seven people a day. Independent labour groups say the actual number of deaths is probably much higher.

Source: SGGP

Four workers killed in fireworks explosion in My Dinh National Stadium

In Uncategorized on October 13, 2010 at 7:47 am

Four people were killed and three others were injured including some foreign experts who will participate in the firework display when a shipment of fireworks exploded in the My Dinh National Stadium’s Stage C in Hanoi on Oct.6, said a high-ranking officer.

 Smoke rises from the incident (Photo: 4teenvt.com)

Lieut. Gen. Nguyen Duc Nhanh, deputy head of the Security General Department II and director of the Hanoi Police Department, said it was a regrettable accident but would not affect work to ensure security for the capital city’s celebrations.


My Dinh National Stadium is one of 29 sites in the capital where organizers planed firework showcases for Hanoi’s 1,000th birthday celebrations.


Police verified the carelessness during the transportation of the two containers of fireworks caused the blast. Two containers were imported by Hanoi-based International Investment Trade and Service Company (Interserco) to be used in firework displays at the My Dinh Stadium on Oct.10.


Right after the incident, Mr. Nhanh ordered eight vehicles to the site to extinguish the fires, cordon off and examine the scene as well as take injured people to hospital.

Source: SGGP

Australian surfer killed by shark

In Uncategorized on August 17, 2010 at 11:22 am

 An Australian surfer died after being mauled by a shark Tuesday, the first fatal attack by one of the marine predators in Australian waters in almost two years.


Fellow surfers dragged the man from the water of a Western Australian beach and administered first aid, but the 31-year-old victim never regained consciousness, witnesses told local media.


“We wrapped a jumper around his legs and used a leg rope as a torniquet,” surfer Eddie Kilgallon told the Perth Now website after the attack close to the tourist town of Margaret River.


“I was holding what was left of his leg together. The bottom half of his thigh was exposed and ripped open. Half of his calf muscle was also torn to shreds.”


Kilgallon said fellow surfers tried to resuscitate and kept talking to the gravely injured man, who had been surfing at South Point break close to Gracetown, some 270 kilometres (165 miles) south of Perth.


“I saw he had a wedding ring and was telling him that his wife wanted to see him again,” he said. “His face was white but we started to get colour back into him. That’s when I thought he might have a chance.”


Gracetown resident Rob Alder, who performed mouth-to-mouth on the victim, said conditions were perfect for surfing and he was watching the waves to decide which break to surf when he saw the man disappear under the water.


“The board was floating by itself in the take-off zone, it looked as if it had been snapped,” he told ABC radio.


Alder said he alerted authorities and raced down to the point where he saw the victim on the rocks, already being treated by another surfer.


He said the man was unconscious and had a large gash on his leg which indicated the shark had probably taken an “exploratory nip” after mistaking the man for a seal.


“He hadn’t bitten away anything. It was like a nip. There was no sign that the shark had viewed the surfer as a meal,” Alder said.


“It was probably an exploratory nip, realised it wasn’t a seal, and let go. But that can be fatal.”


Cassandra Fisher, who works at a store in Gracetown, said she went down to the beach shortly after the attack and saw that other surfers were still out on the water, trapped by a lack of waves.


“They couldn’t get in, there were no waves,” Fisher said. “They were literally paddling for their lives. There were seals out there, it (the shark) was probably after them.”


Local media said the victim was enjoying a final surf before heading to the Western Australian goldfields mining region where he worked.


The death is the first since December 2008 when a man was attacked by a large shark, believed to be a great white, off the Western Australia coast while snorkelling with his son, according to the Australian Shark Attack File.


It was within one kilometre (mile) of where another surfer died after being attacked by two sharks in July 2004.


Sharks are a common feature of Australian waters but fatal attacks are rare, with only 24 recorded deaths in the 20 years up to June 2009.


“We understand that’s a risk we take when we surf,” Alder said.

Source: SGGP

11 killed, dozens missing in Indonesia boat sinking: govt

In Uncategorized on August 9, 2010 at 11:21 am

KUPANG, Aug 9, 2010 (AFP) – At least 11 people were killed and more than 30 are missing after a passenger boat went down in waters off eastern Indonesia on Monday, the country’s search and rescue agency said.


“We have found 11 dead bodies and still look for about 32 people that went missing,” National Search and Rescue Agency spokesman Gagah Prakoso told AFP.

At least 11 people were killed and dozens are missing after a passenger boat went down in waters off eastern Indonesia (AFP photo)

The boat set sail carrying about 60 passengers at 07.30 am (2330 GMT on Sunday) and capsized two hours later off Flores island, in East Nusa Tenggara province, he said.


Local police chief Abdul Rahma Aba said that the inter-island vessel was struck by high waves which caused panic among passengers before it capsized about two miles from shore.


Prakoso said that 17 passengers were found alive and searchers including local fishermen continued to hunt for survivors.


The Indonesian archipelago of more than 17,000 islands is heavily dependent on maritime services but its safety record is poor, and fatal accidents are common.


Up to 335 people were killed when a heavily overloaded ferry sank off Sulawesi island in January last year. In December 2006 a ferry went down in a storm off the coast of Java, killing more than 500 people.

d
Source: SGGP

Top leader of Mexico’s Sinaloa drug gang killed: reports

In Uncategorized on July 30, 2010 at 3:19 am

Ignacio “Nacho” Coronel, a top leader of Mexico’s Sinaloa drug gang, was killed in a military raid in the suburbs of the western city of Guadalajara, according to media reports.


The military targeted Coronel, a close partner of Mexico’s most wanted man Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, in a raid in the suburb of Zapopan on Thursday, the main Mexican newspapers reported.

Handout picture released by Mexico’s Attorney General Office in May shows gold and silver-plated, diamond-incrusted guns believed to belong to allies of the powerful Sinaloa drug gang, seized by Mexican security forces in Zapopan, Jalisco.

A military source confirmed the raid to AFP but declined to give more information before a news conference scheduled for 7:30 pm (0030 GMT Friday).


Coronel is also known as the “King of Crystal” for his dominance of crystal methamphetamine production and trafficking as well as cocaine.


The US and Mexican governments both have outstanding arrest warrants for him, while US authorities had offered a five-million-dollar reward for information leading to his capture.


One of Coronel’s nieces reportedly married Guzman, the fugitive head of the Sinaloa gang, in 2007.

Source: SGGP