wiki globe

Posts Tagged ‘NATO:’

NATO opens summit on Afghan exit strategy

In Uncategorized on November 20, 2010 at 4:12 pm

NATO agrees on Europe-wide missile defence system

In Uncategorized on November 20, 2010 at 6:13 am

NATO targets ceding control of Afghan war to Kabul

In Uncategorized on November 19, 2010 at 3:27 am

Afghan handover could run past 2015 in areas: NATO

In Uncategorized on November 18, 2010 at 6:56 am

Militants assault NATO base in eastern Afghanistan

In Uncategorized on November 13, 2010 at 8:54 am

NATO loses 16 soldiers in three days of Afghan war

In Uncategorized on October 15, 2010 at 10:26 am

KABUL, Oct 15, 2010 (AFP) – A foreign soldier fighting the Afghan insurgency was killed by a Taliban-style bomb Friday, NATO said as it announced that another soldier died from injuries sustained in a similar attack a day earlier.


The deaths bring to 16 the number of foreign soldiers — at least six of them Americans — to have died in the war since Wednesday, according to an AFP tally.


NATO’s International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said a “service member died following an improvised explosive device attack in southern Afghanistan today”. It did not give further details.


There are more than 150,000 international troops deployed in Afghanistan trying to defeat a Taliban-led insurgency aimed at toppling the country’s Western-backed democracy.


The rebels have stepped up attacks every year since the Taliban regime was toppled in a US-led invasion in late 2001.


To root out the rebels, Washington deployed an extra 30,000 reinforcements this year as the basis of a surge strategy aimed at speeding an end to the war. About 10,000 more NATO troops were also deployed.


This year, the deadliest yet for foreign forces, 590 NATO-led soldiers have been killed, according to a toll based on that kept by the independent icasualties.org website, compared to 521 killed last year.

d
Source: SGGP

June deadliest month of Afghan war for NATO

In Uncategorized on June 24, 2010 at 4:38 am

June has become the deadliest month of the Afghan war for the NATO-led international military force.

US soldiers at an airfield in Kandahar in May 2010.

An Associated Press count based on announcements by the alliance and national commands shows 76 international service members have died this month. The total includes 46 Americans.


The previous deadliest month for the multinational force was July 2009, when 75 troops were killed. For the U.S. contingent, the deadliest month was October 2009, when 59 service members were killed.

Source: SGGP

Gunmen destroy NATO supply trucks in Pakistan

In Uncategorized on June 9, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Gunmen in Pakistan opened fire on trucks carrying supplies to NATO troops in Afghanistan, torching more than a dozen vehicles and killing seven people near Islamabad, police said Wednesday.


The attack took place overnight at Tarnol on the outskirts of the Pakistani capital on the road to the northwestern city of Peshawar and in turn towards the main NATO supply route into neighbouring Afghanistan.


Although militants have carried out a series of strikes against supplies for US and NATO-led foreign forces fighting the Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan, Wednesday’s assault was the first so close to the heavily guarded capital.


“Seven deaths have been confirmed. Four are injured. There is no information about any arrests,” said police official Gustasab Khan. The casualties were the drivers of the trucks, their helpers or local people, Khan said.

Pakistani fire fighters try to extinguish burning NATO supply trucks carrying military vehicles and oil following a militant attack on the outskirts of Islamabad on June 9, 2010

Unknown attackers opened fire on vehicles parked at Tarnol. Fire erupted in the tankers and trucks, and over a dozen were set ablaze. They were trucks carrying NATO supplies,” said police official Tahir Riaz.


Local television stations reported that fire brigades had been mobilised to the scene in order to bring heavy fire under control and said there had been a series of explosions caused by the bursting of tyres and fuel tankers.


Kalim Iman, inspector general of Islamabad police, told reporters that the attack was carried out by 10 to 12 assailants, who stormed the terminal outside the capital.


“We are working to arrest them,” he said.


The bulk of supplies and equipment required by the 130,000 US-led foreign troops across the border are shipped through northwest Pakistan, which has been hard hit by shootings and bomb attacks blamed on radical Islamist militants.


But the heavily protected capital has been largely shielded from attacks blamed on Al-Qaeda and Taliban-linked militant attacks, which have killed more than 3,370 people since July 2007.


The attacks began as retaliation over a government siege on a radical mosque in Islamabad and flared last year as the military fought major campaigns against Taliban in the northwest regions of Swat and South Waziristan.


Washington says Pakistan’s northwest tribal belt, which lies outside direct government control, is an Al-Qaeda headquarters and a stronghold for militants plotting attacks on US-led troops fighting against the Taliban in Afghanistan.


Faced with the increasingly deadly and costly conflict between Taliban insurgents and the Kabul government, the United States and NATO allies are boosting their troop numbers to a record 150,000 in Afghanistan by August.

Source: SGGP

Taliban suicide attack kills NATO soldiers, civilians

In Uncategorized on May 19, 2010 at 5:03 am

A suicide car bomber attacked a NATO convoy in Kabul on Tuesday killing 18 people, including five US soldiers, a Canadian colonel and 12 civilians in the deadliest strike on the capital in over a year.


The Taliban, which is leading a nearly nine-year insurgency against the Afghan government and its foreign backers, claimed responsibility for the bomb, having pledged a new nationwide campaign of attacks.

Afghan and foreign troops block a road at the site of a suicide attack in Kabul. A suicide car bomber attacked a NATO convoy in Kabul on Tuesday killing 18 people, including five US soldiers, a Canadian soldier and 12 civilians in the deadliest strike on the capital in over a year

The attacker detonated the bomb during rush hour, unleashing blood and chaos on a clogged street near parliament and on a nearby hospital run by foreigners, an army recruitment centre and the ministry of water and energy.


Interior ministry spokesman Zemarai Bashary said 12 civilians were killed and 47 wounded. Most had been passing in a bus when the bomber blew up the car. Children and women were among the dead.


The NATO International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) confirmed one of its convoys had been attacked and said six international soldiers — five of them from the United States — were killed and several others wounded.


Ottowa said the sixth soldier was a 42-year-old Canadian colonel, the highest ranking Candadian to die in the conflict since 2002.


The American University of Afghanistan was across the road from the bomb site and the Kabul museum was about 100 metres away.


A burnt-out vehicle sat crumpled in the street and Afghan civilians, some covered in blood, were being evacuated from the site. Among them was a little girl wearing school uniform black skirt and white headscarf, who was carried out by a volunteer, an AFP photographer said.


The Taliban militia are waging an increasingly deadly insurgency and attacks have increased over the past 12 months in the heavily guarded capital.


President Hamid Karzai condemned the attack. “The president called the attack an act against all human and Islamic principles and deemed the perpetrators brutal terrorists, who to achieve evil goals, grieved innocent Kabulis,” his office said.


NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen “strongly” condemned the attack but said the alliance remained “committed to its mission to protect the Afghan people and to strengthen Afghanistan’s ability to resist terrorism”.


The White House said the Taliban were offering the people of Afghanistan “only destruction”.


“They have so little respect for humanity they would murder Afghan civilians waiting for a bus. The United States and Afghan governments remain steadfast in our determination to build security, stability and opportunity for Afghanistan,” spokesman Bill Burton said.


The United Nations and European Union condemned the attack in statements released in Kabul.


Later Tuesday, NATO said two of its soldiers had been killed in the south of the country, one by an improvised explosive device, the weapon of choice for Taliban insurgents, and one by small arms fire.


At least 210 NATO soldiers, 130 of them from the United States, have died in the war so far this year. It has been the deadliest January to May period since a US-led invasion brought down the Taliban regime in 2001.


The United States and NATO allies are deploying thousands of extra troops in the war, with the overall number due to peak at 150,000 by August, part of a new strategy designed to beat back the Taliban.


Washington believes this “surge” can wrest back the initiative in key population centres and allow US forces to start withdrawing from the unpopular and costly conflict next year.

Tuesday’s bombing was the first major attack in Kabul since February 26, when Taliban suicide bombers targeted guesthouses, killing 16 people including Westerners and Indians.

That was the deadliest attack in the Afghan capital since the Taliban launched suicide bomb and gun attacks on three Afghan government buildings, killing at least 26 people in February 2009.

Zabihullah Mujahed, a Taliban spokesman, telephoned AFP from an undisclosed location to claim responsibility: “The attack, which was a suicide car bomb, was carried out by one of our mujahedeen”, or holy warriors, he said.

The Taliban had promised a new nationwide campaign of attacks from May 10 targeting diplomats, members of the Afghan parliament, foreign contractors and the 130,000-strong international military force.

Also on Tuesday, in the eastern province of Paktia, a suicide bomber blew himself up outside a local administration headquarters after police opened fire on him, the interior ministry said. A police officer was killed, it said.

Two police officers and two soldiers were killed in separate Taliban-style roadside bombings in the southern province of Helmand, the interior and defence ministries said. The attacks were blamed on Taliban.

Source: SGGP

NATO ministers meet on Afghan trainers, nuclear policy

In Uncategorized on April 22, 2010 at 8:14 am

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton arrived in Estonia Thursday for talks with her NATO counterparts about the alliance’s role in nuclear defence and ways to drum up more trainers for the Afghan army.


The gathering in the Estonian capital Tallinn, starting at 1030 GMT, will first focus on plans to reform NATO to deal with modern security threats, followed by a working dinner on nuclear and missile defence policy.


The United States “wants to see a more efficient and streamlined alliance,” which has grown rapidly to 28 members, a senior State Department official told reporters traveling with Clinton.


The official also said on condition of anonymity that Clinton, at the dinner with her counterparts, would build on US-sponsored efforts to reduce nuclear arms as well as tackle “the question of non-strategic nuclear weapons in NATO.”


He did not elaborate.


But Germany, Belgium and several other countries appear intent on calling for the United States to remove its tactical nuclear weapons, something Washington is reluctant to do without Russia cutting its tactical arsenal.


There are no official figures published but there are thought to be some 240 US nuclear weapons scattered around Europe in five NATO nations; Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Turkey.


Another senior US official said earlier it would be NATO’s first real talks on nuclear policy since the early 1990s.


“Our principle, and most important guide-post for moving into this discussion is that we don’t want to divide the alliance on this issue,” he said.


The ministers will also mull whether to grant Bosnia-Hercegovina membership action plan (MAP) status, the penultimate step to joining the 28-nation North Atlantic Treaty Organisation. Officials suggest this is unlikely to happen.


The senior US official praised Bosnia for taking positive steps toward gaining MAP status by its deploying 100 troops to Afghanistan and agreeing to dispose of surplus ammunition and weapons.


Friday’s morning session will include talks about cooperation with Russia — although no Russian officials are due to attend — and talks among NATO nations and partners fighting the Taliban, Al-Qaeda and their backers in Afghanistan.


Clinton is scheduled to have talks with Zalmai Rassoul, the new Afghan foreign minister.


Ahead of the meeting, NATO chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen urged the allies to help find 450 new trainers to help build up the Afghan army and police to take responsibility for national security on their own.


“For transition to take place, we need Afghan forces to play their part. Which means we need trainers,” he told reporters in Brussels.


“We are still short about 450 trainers. It’s a relatively small number. But those trainers have a big effect,” he said, and urged the ministers “to see what they can do to free up these mission-critical resources.”


Rasmussen said the ministers would also seek to agree “on the principles and decision-making framework” for security duties to be handed from NATO and US-led forces to the Afghans.


NATO leads a force of some 90,000 troops drawn from more than 40 nations and whose aim is to restore stability and democracy to Afghanistan in the face of a virulent insurgency.

Source: SGGP