wiki globe

Posts Tagged ‘planned’

Two major new airports planned

In Uncategorized on November 17, 2010 at 2:32 pm

More international flights planned

In Uncategorized on October 18, 2010 at 2:26 pm




More international flights planned


QĐND – Monday, October 18, 2010, 21:19 (GMT+7)

Vietnam Airlines will open five more international flight routes from Da Nang City to Hong Kong, Taipei, Seoul, Guang Zhou and Singapore.


There will be one flight per week to and from Taipei, two flights per week for travel to and from Hong Kong, Guang Zhou and Seoul, and four flights per week to and from Singapore.


This increase is expected to welcome 1,000 passengers each week.


Source: VNA


Source: QDND

BA runs ‘more flights than planned’ despite strike

In Uncategorized on May 31, 2010 at 5:18 am

British Airways said it had operated more flights than planned on Sunday as cabin crew started a new five-day strike with little sign of a resolution to the long-running dispute.


The airline said it had reintroduced all of its services from its London Heathrow hub to New York’s JFK airport and would continue to add to its schedule where possible as crew defied the union and reported for week.


“Our global operations went very well throughout the first week of Unite’s strike action and got off to another good start today at the beginning of the second series of strikes,” BA said in a statement.


“We have announced a larger schedule at Heathrow for this round of strikes, because of the numbers of crew reporting for work.


“We will continue to operate 100 percent of our schedule at Gatwick and London City airports.

British Airways said it had operated more flights than planned on Sunday as cabin crew started a new five-day strike with little sign of a resolution to the long-running dispute.

“At Heathrow, we will operate to more than 70 percent of longhaul flights (up from more than 60 percent last week) and more than 55 percent of shorthaul flights (up from more than 50 percent this week).”


The Unite union challenged the figures, claiming BA had cancelled more than 100 flights on Sunday and said its action continued to be strongly supported.


The latest strike is aimed at the British half-term school holidays with another five-day stoppage planned from June 5, which would hit flights to the football World Cup in South Africa.


Derek Simpson, Unite’s joint leader, offered to conduct talks in the “full glare” of the media in a bid to find a breakthrough.


Simpson said people would be able to see how “unreasonable” BA chief executive Willie Walsh was being if they could witness the negotiations.


“I prefer these negotiations to be in front of a camera. Let the world see what this is all about. If people could see what he is doing, they would know who to blame,” Simpson told BBC TV.


He reiterated that the dispute could be resolved quickly if BA fully restored travel concessions taken away from crew who have gone on strike.


He said: “It is all about confidence of management in the workforce and of workforce in the management. Clearly there has been a breakdown. If we could get the confidence back a deal is do-able.”


The two sides met for 12 hours at the conciliation services Acas over two days last week, with little sign of a breakthrough.


Simpson claimed Walsh said he would only meet for further talks after Unite’s annual conference, which opens Monday in Manchester, and continues until the end of the current strike.


BA countered: “We remain available for talks at any time.”


This month, BA posted a record annual pre-tax loss of 531 million pounds.


The airline, which has been hit hard by the decreased demand for air travel, is slashing costs and merging with Spanish rival Iberia in a bid to return to profitability.

Source: SGGP

Liberation Day celebrations planned

In Uncategorized on April 9, 2010 at 8:40 pm




Liberation Day celebrations planned


QĐND – Friday, April 09, 2010, 20:56 (GMT+7)

HCM City will let off fireworks at six places for 15 minutes beginning at 9pm on April 30, to celebrate Liberation Day.


Many other activities will be held to mark the 35 th anniversary of liberation of South Vietnam . Exhibitions of photos and documents about HCM City ’s achievements over the last 35 years will take place at Lam Son Park and Youth Cultural House.


The September 23 Park will host the Tourism Festival 2010 and a music festival while the HCM City Youth Union will organise various activities at various industrial zones on April 30 and May 1 to serve workers.


The City Television Station and the Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism will organise a national cycling tournament named HTV Cup 2010. A marathon attracting 10,000 people will take place on April 30.


Source: VNA


Source: QDND

Japan PM regrets planned execution of national in China

In Uncategorized on April 5, 2010 at 11:28 am

TOKYO, April 5, 2010 (AFP) – Japan’s prime minister expressed regret over the expected execution Tuesday of a Japanese convicted drug trafficker in China as rights group Amnesty International announced protest rallies.


Mitsunobu Akano, 65, was due to face the firing squad Tuesday after Beijing informed Tokyo on Monday of a one-day delay in his execution and allowed his family to meet him, Jiji news agency reported, citing unnamed sources.

This file photo taken April 2, 2010 shows China’s ambassador to Japan, Cheng Yonghua (R) and Japanese Foreign Minister Katsuya Okada prior to talks at the Foreign Ministry in Tokyo. AFP photo

Convicted of trying to smuggle 2.5 kilograms (5.5 pounds) of illegal stimulants from China to Japan, he is expected to become the first Japanese executed in China since the countries established diplomatic ties in 1972.


Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama told reporters that the Japanese people feel the death penalty for Akano “is regrettable and severe” but he also said there was little Japan could do about another country’s judicial process.


Japan’s top government spokesman, Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirofumi Hirano, earlier said that “we have conveyed our concern, including our wish that something be done about it in view of the people’s feelings.”


“But as the matter is based on the judicial system of another country, I think we can take no other position than to express our views and concerns,” he added.


China has told Japan it plans to execute three more Japanese drug smugglers as early as Thursday — Teruo Takeda, 67, from Nagoya city; Hironori Ukai, 48, from Gifu prefecture; and Katsuo Mori, 67, of Fukushima prefecture.


The Japan branch of Amnesty International announced protests on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings outside the Chinese embassy “to strongly protest against all executions in China and demand an immediate end to executions.”


Japan also has the death penalty, usually for cases of multiple murder.

d
Source: SGGP

Japan PM regrets planned execution of national in China

In Uncategorized on April 5, 2010 at 11:27 am

TOKYO, April 5, 2010 (AFP) – Japan’s prime minister expressed regret over the expected execution Tuesday of a Japanese convicted drug trafficker in China as rights group Amnesty International announced protest rallies.


Mitsunobu Akano, 65, was due to face the firing squad Tuesday after Beijing informed Tokyo on Monday of a one-day delay in his execution and allowed his family to meet him, Jiji news agency reported, citing unnamed sources.

This file photo taken April 2, 2010 shows China’s ambassador to Japan, Cheng Yonghua (R) and Japanese Foreign Minister Katsuya Okada prior to talks at the Foreign Ministry in Tokyo. AFP photo

Convicted of trying to smuggle 2.5 kilograms (5.5 pounds) of illegal stimulants from China to Japan, he is expected to become the first Japanese executed in China since the countries established diplomatic ties in 1972.


Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama told reporters that the Japanese people feel the death penalty for Akano “is regrettable and severe” but he also said there was little Japan could do about another country’s judicial process.


Japan’s top government spokesman, Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirofumi Hirano, earlier said that “we have conveyed our concern, including our wish that something be done about it in view of the people’s feelings.”


“But as the matter is based on the judicial system of another country, I think we can take no other position than to express our views and concerns,” he added.


China has told Japan it plans to execute three more Japanese drug smugglers as early as Thursday — Teruo Takeda, 67, from Nagoya city; Hironori Ukai, 48, from Gifu prefecture; and Katsuo Mori, 67, of Fukushima prefecture.


The Japan branch of Amnesty International announced protests on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings outside the Chinese embassy “to strongly protest against all executions in China and demand an immediate end to executions.”


Japan also has the death penalty, usually for cases of multiple murder.

d
Source: SGGP

Palestinians fight settlements with new planned suburb

In World on January 16, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Bulldozers are carving out a new suburb on a hilltop in the occupied West Bank. For once it isn’t a Jewish settlement but the first ever planned Palestinian suburb.








Israeli border police, left, and Palestinian demonstrators scuffle during a protest over a disputed water well in the West Bank village of Deir Netham near Ramallah, Friday, Jan. 15, 2010. (Photo: AFP)

The developers of Rawabi, as the community is known, hope it will one day provide much-needed housing for some 40,000 people and help cement Palestinian claims to the territory amid similar communities built by settlers.


“The city is not a settlement,” says Bashar al-Masri, head of the Bayti Real Estate Investment Company, which is carrying out the 700-million-dollar (480-million-euro) project along with Qatar’s Diar Real Estate Company.


“Instead it can be considered a Palestinian attempt to keep Palestinians on their land in order to contain Israeli settlement,” he says.


The building of a modern suburb in the West Bank, which is governed by the Western-backed Palestinian Authority and receives considerable international aid, is in sharp contrast to the lingering devastation in the Gaza Strip, which has been under strict closure since the Hamas movement seized power in 2007.


The first phase of the Rawabi project calls for the construction of some 22 residential buildings housing 20,000 people within three years. The second phase will double the occupancy over the following three years.


The city will include schools and hospitals, and the homes will be within the means of middle-class Palestinians, with units selling for 50,000 to 80,000 dollars (35,000 to 55,000 euros).


Covering some 630 hectares (1,500 acres), it will be one of the largest investment projects in the occupied territories, and has won the enthusiastic support of the Palestinian Authority.


“This project proves that there are opportunities for investment in Palestine,” Palestinian economy minister Hassan Abu Libdeh says.


Ironically, the hilltop suburb resembles the dozens of Israeli settlements scattered across the territory, which the Palestinians have condemned as “facts on the ground” aimed at thwarting the creation of an independent state.


“The sight of Palestinian bulldozers is strange, because we are used to seeing Israeli bulldozers stealing our land and digging it up to build settlements,” says Mohammed Khamis, 42, as he watches from a nearby village.


“There are some cynical comparisons that Palestinians are involved in this sad scene associated with Israeli settlement, but we hope that the project will be the beginning of an expansion of related investment,” Abu Libdeh says.


The project is being carried out in Area A, a part of the occupied West Bank governed by the Palestinian Authority, but comes amid a general push to assert greater Palestinian control over the territory occupied by Israel in 1967.


Palestinian prime minister Salam Fayyad has vowed to construct housing and infrastructure in Area C, which is under complete Israeli military control, as part of his plan to build the institutions of a Palestinian state by 2011.


The Rawabi project nevertheless depends in part on Israel, which must open the main road between the new suburb and the nearby town of Ramallah and grant permission for the construction of new infrastructure, Masri says.


“We have not yet obtained Israeli approval, but there is no Israeli opposition to this,” he says. “We have approval in principle.”


As the Palestinians have accelerated projects aimed at generating economic growth following the devastating 2000 intifada, or uprising, they have demanded that Israel halt its own construction projects in the territory, which are considered illegal by the international community.


Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas has refused US demands to relaunch peace talks suspended during last winter’s Gaza war until Israel halts all settlement activity, including in mostly-Arab east Jerusalem.


Israel in November enacted a 10-month moratorium on new building starts in the West Bank but excluded east Jerusalem, public buildings and projects already under way, prompting the Palestinians to slam the move as insufficient.


Nearly half a million Israelis live in more than 100 settlements scattered across the West Bank and east Jerusalem, many of which resemble Western-style suburbs and house thousands of people.


Source: SGGP Bookmark & Share

Rage against GM over 10,000 planned job cuts at Opel

In Uncategorized on November 6, 2009 at 11:16 am

 Angry German workers on Thursday protested General Motors’ shock refusal to sell its European unit Opel and its plans to cut 10,000 jobs, moves slammed as a slap in the face for Chancellor Angela Merkel.


Around 10,000 workers demonstrated at Ruesselsheim near Frankfurt, Opel’s biggest German factory, while 3,000 downed tools at Bochum, another 3,000 at Kaiserslautern and around 600 at Eisenach.


GM wants to slash costs by 30 percent at Opel, which would mean the elimination of about one-fifth a workforce of around 50,000, GM vice president John Smith told a telephone news conference.


“Opel — the big piss-take,” screamed the front-page headline of the mass-selling Bild newspaper. “The Americans duped everyone.”


GM even warned employees and unions that it could still allow Opel to flounder if the workforce upholds its threat to refuse wage concessions — a move blasted as “blackmail” Thursday by the German daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung. GM, Opel’s 80-year union








Opel workers demonstrate with banners at the main plant of carmaker Opel in Ruesselsheim, western Germany, during a protest one day after General Motors’ shock refusal to sell its European unit Opel and plan to cut some 10,000 jobs

GM estimated it would need 3.0 billion euros (4.5 billion dollars) in state aid and was confident it could secure the sum from Germany and other European countries where Opel and the British Vauxhall unit have plants.


The announcements came a day after GM, which was struggling with a bankruptcy reorganisation backed by the US and Canadian governments, stunned the auto sector by abandoning an agreed plan to sell Opel to Canadian auto parts manufacturer Magna International and state-owned Russian bank Sberbank.


It said it would restructure the unit itself, just hours after an unwitting Merkel gave a historic speech before a joint session of the US Congress and held talks with US President Barack Obama.


Obama assured Merkel in a phone call on Wednesday evening that he was “not involved” in GM’s decision, Merkel’s spokesman said Thursday.


Germany’s economy minister on Wednesday slammed GM’s behaviour as “totally unacceptable.” Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin on Thursday called the US firm’s decision “disdainful.”


“The last-minute withdrawal from the completion of this deal does not harm our interests, but to put it mildly, it reflects our American partners’ peculiar way of dealing with their counterparts,” Putin said.


Merkel’s government had invested major financial and political capital in saving Opel from insolvency before a September general election that which she handily won.


Beyond pledging 4.5 billion euros in state aid for the ailing company, Berlin spent months shepherding a rescue deal.


About half the company’s employees work in Germany and although Magna had said it would cut around 10,500 jobs, Berlin had been confident that most of the German staff would be spared.


“It is incredible how GM has played with the feelings, the fears, the worries and the needs of Opel workers and their families,” Klaus Franz, the head of Opel’s works committee, told demonstrators in Ruesselsheim.


“I’m going to laugh myself sick if GM restructures us. It’s not going to work, it’s all going to go down the drain,” Uwe Raubert, who has worked at Opel for 33 years, told AFP. Opel workers fear for their futures


In contrast to Germany, in Spain, where many had feared local workers would bear the brunt of a sale to Opel, the press was largely optimistic about the effects of the GM turnabout.


And Britain’s biggest trade union Unite, which greeted GM’s decision with delight on Wednesday, said Thursday it was keen to work with GM to ensure job cuts at Opel were voluntary.

Peter Mandelson, British business minister, said there must be a “fair balance” of jobs lost and state aid given by European governments.

“And that is of course something that we have yet to discuss amongst ourselves and with the GM management.”


Source: SGGP Bookmark & Share

Genetically modified crops planned for experiment

In Uncategorized on November 13, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Hanoi (VNA) – Vietnam will put some genetically modified (GM) crops on experimental production from now to 2010, said Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development Cao Duc Phat before the National Assembly on Nov. 11.

Under a plan approved by the Government, those crops will be grown on a wide mass scale from 2011.

To facilitate the introduction of biotechnology into agriculture, the Agricultural Genetics Institute has prepared a set of regulations on assay and assessment of GM crops.

According to experts, the use of biotechnology in Vietnam may increase the corn output up by 28 percent from 4.5 tonnes per ha currently, while lowering the cost of insect and disease prevention by 100 USD per ha.

The Ho Chi Minh City Biotechnology Center said it plans to buy insect and disease-resistant corn seeds from the Philippines , whose natural conditions are similar to Vietnam ’s. GM crops have been permitted in 23 countries with productivity proved much higher than traditional crops.-