wiki globe

Posts Tagged ‘plans’

HCM City plans US$135 mln for pre-schools in 5 years

In Uncategorized on December 17, 2010 at 8:27 am


Ho Chi Minh City plans to set aside about VND2,700 billion (US$135 million) for developing its pre-school system between now and 2015.

Children in playing time at Anh Dao kindergarten.   (Photo: SGGP)

Under the plans, the city’s government will build 760 classrooms, and train thousands of teachers, both working and new ones.


The city will ensure that 100% of under-5 children to go to school with two class sessions a day by 2013.


Among them, the local authorities will allocate priority funds in the construction of six national standard kindergartens in rural areas including Ly Nhon Commune in Can Gio District, Nhon Duc in Nha Be, Tan Nhut in Binh Chanh, Xuan Thoi Thuong in Hoc Mon, Tan Thong Hoi and Thai My in Cu Chi; and other pre-schools in 12 wards in districts consisting of 4, 6, Phu Nhuan, Go Vap, Binh Tan, Tan Phu; and in industrial and export processing zones.


In addition, the city’s government also guides the Department of Education and Training to cooperate with the Labor Union in asking industrial and export processing zones to build kindergartens for workers’ children.

Source: SGGP

Vietnam plans to put end to TB within 20 years

In Uncategorized on December 16, 2010 at 9:29 am




Vietnam plans to put end to TB within 20 years


QĐND – Friday, December 10, 2010, 20:52 (GMT+7)

Vietnam plans to eliminate tuberculosis (TB) by 2030, according to the National Tuberculosis Prevention (NTP) Programme.


The programme on Dec. 9 revealed its strategy for the next five years to reduce the prevalence of TB by half of the estimated incidence in 2000. It also aims to keep the multi-drug resistance (MDR) rate steady between now and 2015.


“TB epidemiology in Vietnam is still higher than the previous estimation of health experts. Thus, a significant number of TB cases remain undiagnosed or unreported and will continuously be sources of transmission,” said NTP Director Dinh Ngoc Sy.


According to statistics from the Ministry of Health, Vietnam still ranks 12th among 22 TB high burden countries and ranks 14th among 27 countries with a high burden of MDR-TB. The NTP estimated that Vietnam has about 200,000 TB cases of all forms, of which nearly 100,000 are new cases.


The number of TB cases detected and treated consistently remains under 60 percent of new cases annually. MDR-TB is about 20 percent of previously treated TB patients.


Vietnam will have to mobilise about 250 million USD of the total budget of 340 million USD from local and international donors to implement the National Tuberculosis Prevention Programme (NTP) in the next five years, Sy said.


“The State funding for the tuberculosis prevention programme only meets about 30 percent of the budget requirement,” he said.


The NTP said TB prevention activities have faced many challenges due to inadequate budget, lack of human resources, legal shortcomings, a weak health system and the impact of the HIV/AIDS epidemic.


The programme has set targets for the 2011-15 period that ensure access to and provision of equitable, high-quality and basic directly observed treatment (DOT) services at all levels of the healthcare system; address TB/HIV, MDR-TB and TB control in prisons; integrate NTP into the health system; and mobilise the involvement of all economic sectors in the NTP fight.


WHO estimates there are about 2 million new TB cases worldwide, 93 percent of which are in Vietnam , the Philippines , Cambodia and China . In fact, 260,000 people die from TB each year in the Western Pacific region.


Source: VNA


Source: QDND

Hanoi plans to increase its annual GDP growth rate by 12 – 13 percent

In Uncategorized on November 18, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Dung Quat refinery plans 4.9 million tonnes in 2011

In Uncategorized on November 10, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Emirates says no plans to ground A380 jets

In Uncategorized on November 5, 2010 at 10:56 am

Qantas drama: Lufthansa has no plans to ground A380 jets

In Uncategorized on November 5, 2010 at 10:55 am

Pakistan spies ‘had role in Mumbai attack plans’

In Uncategorized on October 19, 2010 at 4:22 pm

 Pakistan’s main spy agency played a major role in helping prepare the 2008 Mumbai attacks, one of the planners of the bloodbath has told Indian interrogators, a report said Tuesday.


David Headley, who confessed to surveying targets for the attacks that left 166 people dead in November 2008, made detailed claims about support from the Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) agency, said Britain’s Guardian newspaper.


Headley described dozens of meetings between officers of the ISI and senior militants from Laskhar-e-Taiba (LeT), said the paper, citing a 109-page Indian government report into his interrogation.


India blames LeT — a banned, Pakistan-based Islamist group — for masterminding the Mumbai attacks.


The Guardian said Headley claimed the ISI was attempting to strengthen militant organisations with links to the Pakistani state which were being marginalised by more extreme groups.

Flames gush out of The Taj Mahal Hotel in Mumbai during a violent attack on the landmark building by militant gunmen in November 2008

Headley, the son of a former Pakistani diplomat and a white American woman, claimed that at least two of his missions were partly paid for by the ISI and that he regularly reported to the spy agency, said the British daily.


“The ISI… had no ambiguity in understanding the necessity to strike India,” Headley is cited as telling the Indian investigators, who reportedly interviewed him over 34 hours in the US in June.


The documents suggest however that the ISI’s supervision of the militants was often chaotic and that most senior officers in the agency may have been unaware of the scale of the attacks before they were launched, added the paper.


An ISI spokesman told the Guardian that accusations of the agency’s involvement in the Mumbai attacks were “baseless.”


In the attacks, 10 heavily-armed gunmen launched a three-day assault on prime targets in India’s financial capital.


Headley, who changed his name from Daood Gilani, confessed to his role in plotting the attacks after being arrested in the US.


In exchange for pleading guilty to the attacks, US prosecutors agreed he would not face extradition to India or the death penalty.


The US acknowledged Monday that the wife of a key figure in the Mumbai attacks raised concerns about him months before the plot was carried out, but said the information was not specific.


US State Department spokesman Philip Crowley added that the information about Headley was forwarded to US government agencies and to the Indian authorities before the attacks that killed 166 people in November 2008.


Crowley, asked about a report Saturday in The New York Times, said US officials had two meetings with one of “Headley’s spouses in late 2007 and early 2008.”


She provided “some information. We followed up on that information and provided it to relevant agencies across the US government,” he said.


“Did we share information with our security partners, including India, prior to the Mumbai attacks? The answer is yes,” Crowley added.


“At the same time, the information was not specific,” he said.

If the US government had had specific information, it “would have absolutely provided it to the Indian government beforehand,” he said.

Source: SGGP

Hanoi cancels firework plans to support flood victims

In Uncategorized on October 13, 2010 at 7:45 am

Hanoi leaders have agreed to stop organizing firework displays in 29 locations on October 10 to donate the money for flood-ravaged people in the central region.

A deadly flood is devastating the central region of Vietnam. (Photo:Dan Tri)

Hanoi has been calling individuals, organizations to donate money to the flood fund which will be delivered to flood-ravaged people in the central region.


Chief of Hanoi’s committee of the Party Dao Duc Toan said people in the central region are still struggling to overcome the losses and damages caused by the flood. Therefore, to have more funds for relief efforts, the decision was made to stop firework displays at 29 locations. This money will be used to help victims instead, he added.

As such, there will be no fireworks at the various districts and towns except for the show organized for the gala night at My Dinh National Stadium.

Source: SGGP

Land-use plans concludes in 2010

In Uncategorized on October 13, 2010 at 3:52 am




Land-use plans concludes in 2010


QĐND – Saturday, September 11, 2010, 20:20 (GMT+7)

Vietnam’s land administration sector expects to complete land-use planning for all communes and wards by 2020, according to the participants at a seminar on developing a modern administration system held on September 10 in Hanoi.


Minister of Natural Resource and Environment, Pham Khoi Nguyen, said the sector plans to create advanced models and apply modern technologies to its projects.


The sector is also striving to create a management board similar to those in developed countries by 2020 and to create a modern and system by 2030. 


Tommy Osterberg from Sweden’s Ministry of Environment suggested that municipalities should be in charge of planning their own comprehensive land-use and development. 


Rik Wouters from the Netherlands said over 70 percent of land in developing countries was not registered and remained outside the official management system. 


He said the land administration should consider recording and disseminating information and take into account the land’s ownership, value and use when implementing policies.


Source: VOV


Source: QDND

Gates plans to slash ‘top-heavy’ Pentagon hierarchy

In Uncategorized on August 10, 2010 at 11:22 am

WASHINGTON (AFP) – US Defense Secretary Robert Gates moved to slash a “top-heavy” military hierarchy, announcing plans to close a major command, eliminate at least 50 posts for generals and admirals, and cut back on the use of contractors.


Mounting the most ambitious Pentagon reform in a decade, Gates said harsh fiscal and economic realities require that it “make every dollar count” as it fights two wars and equips itself to confront potential adversaries elsewhere.

(AFP file) A US soldier patrols with Afghan National Army soldiers in Kandahar province.

President Barack Obama applauded the effort, acknowledging that “change is never easy.”


“These reforms will ensure that our nation is safer, stronger, and more fiscally responsible,” he said in a statement.


US defense budgets have doubled to some 700 billion dollars a year since 2001, but Gates warned that the Pentagon now needs to tighten its belt to sustain and modernize the US force.


At a press conference, he unveiled a series of measures targeting the proliferation of personnel in his own office, in military headquarters, defense agencies and intelligence-related units.


“The culture of endless money that has taken hold must be replaced by a culture of restraint,” he said.


US military bureaucracies “have swelled to cumbersome and top-heavy proportions, grown over-reliant on contractors, and grown accustomed to operating with little consideration to cost,” he said.


Gates said he would recommend closing the Norfolk, Virginia-based US Joint Forces Command, which was set up to oversee training and foster coordination among the US military services.


The command costs 250 million dollars a year to run, employing 2,800 military and civilian personnel and some 3,000 contractors. Its responsibilities will be turned over to the Joint Staff.


Its new commander is the outgoing head of US military operations in Iraq, General Raymond Odierno. The Senate confirmed Odierno to the job in July.


Gates said that he told Odierno that “his assignment is the same as Iraq, to work himself out of a job and then I’ll find a new and better one for him.”


Gates also questioned the need for US four-star generals in Europe for each of the military services, and directed a review of all top positions to be completed by November 1.


“At a minimum, I expect this effort to recommend cutting at least 50 general and flag officer positions and 150 senior civilian executive positions over the next two years,” he said.


“These reductions would represent 50 percent of the total growth in senior military and civilian positions since 2000,” he said. “That’s the minimum.”


In the meantime, he ordered a freeze on the number of positions in his office, defense agencies and at combatant commands for the next three years, and said no positions would be created to replace contractors.


Since September 2001, the number of generals and admirals has grown by more than 100, and there were now 40 four-star positions, Gates said. He put the increase in the number of senior civilian positions at more than 300.


“We need to create a system of fewer, flatter and more agile and responsive structures, where reductions in rank at the top create a virtuous cascading downward and outward,” he said.


Additionally, he ordered a freeze in the number of senior executives in defense intelligence organizations and a comprehensive review of the department’s intelligence activities to eliminate “needless duplication.”


Gates also took aim at the Defense Department’s ballooning contractor forces, which he said had grown to be 39 percent of its total workforce.


“Based on the data available after one year, I’m not satisfied with the progress made to reduce our over-reliance on contractors,” Gates said.


“Accordingly, to accelerate this process and achieve additional savings, I have directed that we reduce funding for service support contractors by 10 percent a year for each of the next three years,” he said, exempting Iraq and Afghanistan.


The Pentagon had said in June that it plans to save 100 billion dollars in operating costs over five years, in order to adapt to tighter budgets.


It was unclear how much money will be saved by the measures announced Monday, or how much support Gates will find for them in the US Congress, whose members jealously protect military-related jobs in their own states.


But Gates said the Pentagon budget needs to grow by two to three percent a year to sustain its current force structure and invest in modernization programs — one to two percent more than the defense budget is projected to grow.


To avoid a loss in military capabilities, “that spending difference will need to be made elsewhere in the department,” he said.

d
Source: SGGP