wiki globe

Posts Tagged ‘Relic’

O Quan Chuong relic site restored

In Uncategorized on January 8, 2011 at 4:13 am




O Quan Chuong relic site restored


QĐND – Tuesday, January 04, 2011, 20:43 (GMT+7)

PANO – An inauguration ceremony for the restored O Quan Chuong Relic Site was held on January 4th, 2011, at O Quan Chuong in Hanoi, with the presence of Mr. Michael Michalak, the U.S. Ambassador to Vietnam, and Ngo Thi Thanh Hang, Deputy-head of the Hanoi City People’s Committee.


O Quan Chuong, Hanoi’s last remaining ancient city gate and a landmark of Hanoi, was built in 1749 during the Le Dynasty, and ruined by the ravages of time.


With a US $74,500 grant from Ambassadors’ Fund for Cultural Preservation from the U.S. Department of State, Vietnamese restoration experts have worked for several months to repair damaged sections and to strengthen the gate’s foundation.


Speaking at the ceremony, Mr. Michalak expressed his happiness at the success of the first stage of the restoration of O Quan Chuong.


He also hoped that O Quan Chuong, the symbol of the resilience of the people of Hanoi, would be a symbol for the friendship between Vietnam and the U.S.A.


While looking around the restored O Quan Chuong, the U.S. Ambassador joyfully repeated the word “Great” many times.


On behalf of the Hanoi City People’s Committee, Ms. Hang expressed gratitude to the U.S. Embassy for its support for the restoration of the ancient city gate. She stressed that “This will be a symbol of the cooperation, respect and relationship between people of Vietnam and the U.S.A.”.


On this occasion, she asked relevant agencies to work with each other to carry out solutions to preserve and promote values of the O Quan Chuong relic site, in order to attract more and more domestic and international tourists to O Quan Chuong and the Capital of Hanoi.


Mai Huong


Source: QDND

Dong Thap reopens Nguyen Sinh Sac relic site

In Uncategorized on December 16, 2010 at 9:57 am

Nguyen Sinh Sac relic site was inaugurated in the Mekong Delta province of Dong Thap on Thursday after one year of restoration.

A view of the lotus pond in Nguyen Sinh Sac relic site (Photo: SGGP)

The province People’s Committee hosted the inauguration ceremony and the 81st death anniversary of Uncle Ho’s father in Cao Lanh town with the attendance of Deputy Prime Minister Truong Vinh Trong and chairman of Vietnam Fatherland Front Central Committee Huynh Dam.


Representatives from central ministries and departments, Ho Chi Minh City, Nghe An Province and Mekong Delta provinces were also present at the event.


Construction of the Nguyen Sinh Sac relic site began in 1975 and completed two years later.


The site, recognized as the national cultural and historical relic in 1992 by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, receives about 300,000 visitors annually.


In December last year, the province began the site’s restoration with a total capital of over VND95 billion (US$4.7 million).


Nguyen Sinh Sac- father of President Ho Chi Minh was a mandarin of Nguyen Dynasty who resigned and then became a harbal doctor to help the poor. He passed away in 1929  in Mekong Delta Province of Dong Thap as his son Nguyen Ai Quoc (an alias of President Ho Chi Minh) was looking for ways to salvage the country from French colonialists.


The area now comprises Nguyen Sinh Sac’s tomb, a exhibition house of his life and cause, a flower garden, an Uncle Ho house on stilts, a lotus pond and a corner of Hoa An Village where the late president’s farther treated diseases for the poor and passed away.

Source: SGGP

Relic evokes civil war ‘memories’

In Uncategorized on October 24, 2010 at 4:05 pm




Relic evokes civil war ‘memories’


QĐND – Sunday, October 24, 2010, 20:11 (GMT+7)

The Luy Thay (Master rampart) system must have been an imposing structure 400 years ago.


It is still a must-see destination in the northern central province of Quang Binh, not least for its history, its place in what historians have called a 50-year civil war between the Trinh and Nguyen families. They ruled the north and south of the country respectively between 1558 and 1777.


Built in 1630 by Dao Duy Tu (1572-1634), a famous high-ranking mandarin of the Nguyen lords, the 34-kilometer system had three ramparts: Truong Duc, Tran Ninh (or Dau Mau), and Truong


Sa. It was called Thay rampart because Lord Nguyen Phuc Nguyen, who ordered Tu to build the system, considered Tu as his master.


After four years of construction, the ramparts, made of clay and stones, were six meters high and at some points, the bottom had a width of six meters as well.


Wars and time have taken their toll, and the impressive defense system that once protected the Nguyen lords’ reign from the attacks of the Trinh lords can now only be seen along the Nhat Le River. The 12-kilometer long Tran Ninh rampart is one of the few vestiges of the Luy Thay.


Another section can be found in the center of Dong Hoi Town, marked by Quang Binh Quan – one of the three gates built along the Truong Sa rampart.


Now on Tran Phu Street, the gate was first strengthened with stones in 1825 by King Minh Mang, the second emperor of the Nguyen Dynasty (1802-1945). It was repaired again in 1961 but was almost destroyed by US bombs during the Vietnam War.


In 1994, the Quang Binh Quan section, which is 8.4 meters long and two meters high, was restored and recognized as a national relic.


Source: Thanhniennews


 


Source: QDND

Work starts on Truong Bon historical relic site in Nghe An

In Uncategorized on June 26, 2010 at 4:44 pm




Work starts on Truong Bon historical relic site in Nghe An


QĐND – Saturday, June 26, 2010, 21:17 (GMT+7)

After over a year of preparation, the construction of the Truong Bon historical relic site started at the My Son commune, Do Luong district in the central province of Nghe An on June 25th.


Present at the ceremony were Nguyen Dac Vinh, Secretary of the Central Youth Union and also the Chairman of the Vietnam Students’ Association, representatives of the Ministry of Transportation, and leaders of Nghe An province.


With Nghe An Provincial Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism as a project holder, the VND175,4 billion structure was designed by the Hanoi-based Cultural Project Construction and Design Joint Stock Company.


The project, expected to be completed in five years, will become a centre of the historical and cultural tourism in Nghe An province.


Source: TTO


Translated by Vu Hung


Source: QDND

Strange terra-cotta relic complex found

In Uncategorized on May 25, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Hanoi to open citadel relic site to public

In Uncategorized on March 29, 2010 at 4:02 am




Hanoi to open citadel relic site to public


QĐND – Sunday, March 28, 2010, 21:7 (GMT+7)

The government has allowed Hanoi to open the excavation site of its 1,300-year-old citadel to the public in celebration of the capital’s millennial celebration this October.


The Thang Long Imperial Citadel was first discovered in late 2002 during excavation work to build a new national assembly on Hoang Dieu Street.


Authorities have yet to decide on exactly which day they will open the site.


Thang Long Citadel was part of a citadel system built in the 11th century that included the Dai La Citadel, which acted as a defensive rampart with a complete dyke system, and the Forbidden City, where the king and his royal family lived.


Since its excavation, scientists have unearthed vestiges originating from dynasties like Ly, Tran, Le and Nguyen dating back as far as the seventh century.


Source: VietNamNet/VNA


 


Source: QDND

Relic refurbishment project under fire for destroying heritage

In Uncategorized on March 24, 2010 at 6:04 am

A renovation project at the historic Den Hung (Hung Temple) complex in the northeastern province of Phu Tho, has met with harsh criticism for failing to preserve the heritage and natural beauty of the relics and surrounding area. 








Workers carry out renovations at the historic Den Hung (Hung Temple) complex in Phu Tho Province. The public has expressed outrage that the restorations have in fact destroyed much of the site’s natural beauty and cultural significance. (Photo: SGGP)
According to Mr. Nguyen Tien Khoi, director of the complex, the government this year poured nearly VND250 billion (US$12.8 million) into upgrading the ancient temples – a figure around five times more than in past years.
 
The money was intended to be used for improving the Ha, Trung and Thuong temples located within the complex. Renovation work was also to be carried out on garden areas; steel banisters were to be installed to prevent visitors from falling; lakes were to be dug; and small parks were to be established inside the complex.
 
However, the project has been criticized for destroying the natural beauty and original architecture of the temple. Forest areas surrounding the temples were cut down, while the Trung temple was torn down completely and rebuilt larger than the original.
 
In response to the public outcry, Mr. Khoi said: “Many people have questioned why we decided to tear down the small [Trung] temple and rebuild a new, larger one. In fact, we were just following what happened in history. Initially, the temple was built quite large. Unfortunately, in 1953, the French seized the land and burned down the temple. Later, our people donated money to rebuild it. But obviously, our people at that time did not have lots of money to rebuild it to its initial size.”
 
In regards to the issue of deforestation around the temples, Mr. Khoi said: “In 1960, this area’s forest was cut down and later, space was left for some new trees. However, the new trees were imported from foreign countries. That was a concern for us. Why would we only grow something not belonging to our ancestral land? Why not grow some trees that are indigenous to the area? We thus proposed that the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism allow us to re-plant the forest with local trees instead, and they later approved.
 
“Please give us and our new forest some time. Today, we do not see a green forest with tall trees as previously, but, probably after a few years when the young trees grow, we can see what we loved to see before. And at that time, we can be proud that our forest is filled with local trees – something ‘preserved’ from our culture.
 
“Whenever we find anything belonging to the past, even it’s only a piece of terracotta or other [ancient artifact], we must preserve it. I do not dare to [change] historical relics, especially, when I work under the supervision of Vietnam’s Association of Cultural Heritage,” Mr. Khoi added.
 
The leader from the complex also suggested that his decision to use granite as the main material for the temple’s base and concrete for building a parking lot, would help increase the site’s longevity and did nothing to damage the beauty or history of the area.
 
Vietnam’s Association of Cultural Heritage, led by Professor Le Tien Tieu, is in charge of deciding whether restorations carried out on historical relics are in line with preserving the sites’ cultural heritage.
 
In addition to approval from the association, consent from senior departments like the Institute of Central Vestige Renovation – a division of the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism – is also necessary before renovations are conducted at historical relic sites.
 
The Den Hung ( Hung temple ) complex renovation project had received approval from all necessary leaders and departments.
 
Another change to the Den Hung complex was that from September, 2009, visitors were no longer allowed free entrance. Now, guests are charged VND10,000 ($0.50) each, which officials say is necessary to pay for the administration and operation of the complex.
 
At present, about 300 employees are working inside the complex, but only 100 receive their salaries from the Government. The complex thus has to pay 200 workers from its own budget. Other costs like electricity, water, and environmental upkeep are other costs that the temple leaders say need to be covered by charging entrance fees.
 
The fee was also approved by Phu Tho Province People’s Committee.
 
A national 10-day Hung King Temple Festival is set to debut this year towards the end of April, and Mr. Khoi has said entrance will be free for visitors during this period.




Source: SGGP Bookmark & Share