wiki globe

Posts Tagged ‘saved’

One more of sunken Van Don 02 saved, 11 still missing

In Uncategorized on January 8, 2011 at 4:04 am

Another man from the cargo vessel Van Don 02, which sank on the southern part of East Sea on December 28, has been saved. This now takes the rescued crewmembers to 12. However, another 11 people from the ship are still missing.

Van Dong Port in northern province of Quang Ninh.

Do Thanh Tu, 26, from Hai Phong City was saved by fishing boat number 95690 on December 29, said Do Trieu Quang, the owner of the Van Don 02.


Mr Quang, director of the Quang Ninh Sea Transport, Import and Export Joint Stock Company, also added that Tu’s health is still rather weak.


Earlier on December 28, 11 members of the vessel were saved by two fishing boats from the southern province of Kien Giang.


Pham Xuan Thuy, deputy director of the company said that the sinking incident might have been caused by a tornado, triggered by a low-pressure system.


The remaining crewmembers that were lost at sea have been identified and they are mainly from Quang Ninh, Hai Phong, Thai Binh, Ha Noi and Ha Nam.


Related article:
Vietnamese ship sinks in East Sea, 12 missing

Source: SGGP

Money saved from fireworks cancellation donated to flood-hit localities

In Uncategorized on October 14, 2010 at 6:30 pm




Money saved from fireworks cancellation donated to flood-hit localities


QĐND – Wednesday, October 13, 2010, 20:32 (GMT+7)

The VND5 billion saved from the cancellation of firework displays in 29 different sites in Hanoi on October 10th, will be disbursed to people in flood-hit regions in central Vietnam.


Vice-Chairman of Hanoi People’s Committee, Hoang Manh Hien, told VnExpress on October 12th that all the money saved from the fireworks cancellation would be granted to the worst flood-hit provinces such as Quang Binh and Ha Tinh in central Vietnam.


On the same day, the Hanoi leader visited and presented VND2.5 billion to people in Quang Binh Province, VND1.5 billion of which is part of the money saved from the fireworks cancellation.


Meanwhile a delegation from Hanoi authority also visited two flood-hit districts of Bo Trach and Quang Trach in Quang Binh Province and presented 100 gifts worth VND500,000 to families worst hit by recent floods.


Source: Vnexpress


Translated by Vu Hung


Source: QDND

Chile’s joy spreads to the world as all 33 miners saved

In Uncategorized on October 14, 2010 at 2:27 pm

SAN JOSE MINE, Chile, Oct 14, 2010 (AFP) – A complex, against-all-odds rescue of 33 miners trapped in Chile for more than two months transfixed this nation and the world Wednesday, with wild celebrations breaking out at its successful completion.


The ascent of the last of the miners, grizzled leader Luis Urzua, capped nearly 22 hours of euphoric scenes happening every 30 minutes or so, when each of the trapped men was winched individually to the surface through a narrow escape shaft.

Miner Luis Urzua (L) greets President Sebastian Pinera (R) after reaching the surface from the San Jose mine, near Copiapo, Chile on October 13, 2010. AFP

It also spelled the end of a record ordeal lived by the men, who had survived 10 nightmarish weeks in a dank and dark tunnel 622 meters (2,041 feet) below the surface of Chile’s northern Atacama desert following an August 5 cave-in.


“They were experiencing a kind of rebirth,” President Sebastian Pinera said in a televised address to the nation from the San Jose gold and copper mine after all the miners were freed.


The rescue operation, he affirmed, was “inspiring… for the whole world.”


Pinera hailed Urzua for doing his duty and seeing off all his men before “leaving last like a ship’s captain.”


The two men, grateful miner and smiling president, led a rendition of Chile’s national anthem that was echoed across the country.


Everywhere from the mine to the capital Santiago, tears glistened in eyes and on cheeks as the South American nation joined together in an unsurpassed moment of deep joy. Car horns honked in cities and vuvezela horns blared.


Thirty-three balloons decked out in Chile’s red-white-and-blue colors floated free into the night sky above the mine at the exact moment the last of the 33 trapped miners was brought to the surface.


The depth of feeling electrified the thousands of international journalists covering the rescue, who respectfully stood in silence alongside the miners’ families, recording the event, and sharing in it.


Relatives later streamed up a hill where 33 Chilean flags had been planted to give thanks for the “miracle” they had witnessed.


“It’s the end of a nightmare,” said Silvia Segovia, sister of one of the miners, Victor Segovia.


“It’s a new life about to begin,” said Belgica Ramirez, the sister-in-law of Mario Gomez, the oldest of the miners saved.


The spectacular rescue was followed by an estimated one billion people around the world, many of them catching live updates on television or the Internet.


Presidents Barack Obama of the United States, Nicolas Sarkozy of France, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva of Brazil, as well as Pope Benedict XVI and other dignitaries sent their congratulations during the day.


The US space agency NASA, which provided advice on how to sustain the 33 men underground, hailed “the courageous miners” and their rescuers.


The operation officially wrapped up at 12:35 am (0335 GMT) Thursday, when the last of six highly trained rescue specialists who had been sent into the mine Wednesday to prepare the miners for their 15-minute ascent himself returned to the surface.


The miners’ ordeal attracted global attention in their determined triumph over fear and disaster.


After initially being given up for dead in the days following the August 5 mine collapse by all except their families, their discovery alive on August 22 sparked riotous celebration — and also head scratching on how to get them out.


While plans were made for three drills to bore escape shafts to them, sustenance and communications were dropped through probe holes to the men, who had up to then survived in a shelter with meager rations.


Two of the drills veered off course, but the third completed its shaft last weekend, setting the scene for Wednesday’s unprecedented extraction of the men.


The first out was 31-year-old Florencio Avalos, a fit and calm man who hugged his young son and wife and thanked Pinera and other officials.


Then, like a cannonball of energy out of the shaft, came Mario Sepulveda, 40, who roared “Viva Chile” before handing out rocks from the bottom of the mine as souvenirs.


“I have been with God and with the devil,” Sepulveda said later, in more reflective mood. “I seized the hand of God, it was the best hand. I always knew God would get us out of there.”


Others following included the only non-Chilean in the group, Bolivian miner Carlos Mamani, 23, who turned down an offer from visiting Bolivian President Evo Morales to return to La Paz with him, preferring to remain in Chile.


Also brought to the top was Jimmy Sanchez, at 19 the youngest of the miners, Esteban Rojas, a 44-year-old who had promised a church wedding to his long-term partner Jessica Yanez, and Raul Bustos, 40, who had been working at the mine only two months when it collapsed.


Yonni Barrios, the 21st miner to be hauled to the surface, stepped out of the escape capsule to be hugged not by his wife of 28 years, but by his longtime girlfriend.


“It turned out he had also asked the other lady and I have decency. One thing is clear: it’s her or me,” the wife, Marta Salinas, was quoted as telling Chilean media.


She nevertheless said: “I”m glad he’s safe, it’s a miracle from God.”


All the men wore special dark sunglasses to protect their weakened eyes from the natural light.


They were immediately taken to a field hospital at the mine for tests, and around half were flown to a regional hospital in the nearest town of Copiapo.


Health Minister Jaime Manalich said the healthiest could be discharged Thursday.


Doctors at Copiapo hospital said the 16 miners at the hospital were generally doing well, though both Sepulveda and one other miner suffered from silicosis, a incurable, common miners’ ailment in which lungs damaged from dust make breathing difficult.


Manalich also said one unnamed miner was receiving “intensive antibiotic treatment” for severe pneumonia and two would have to have surgery under general anesthesia for “very serious” dental infections.

d
Source: SGGP

HCMC not to lack power if consumption saved by 6 percent

In Uncategorized on April 22, 2010 at 4:12 pm




HCMC not to lack power if consumption saved by 6 percent


QĐND – Thursday, April 22, 2010, 21:43 (GMT+7)

The Ho Chi Minh City Power Corporation has taken essential measures to ease power shortage in this dry season, the Corp’s head said, adding that the city will not suffer such a shortage if administrative agencies and households can reduce their power use by six percent.


In a recent interview with SGGP, Le Van Phuoc, general director of the HCMC Power Corporation, said the firm has set up teams to streamline the power supply source to maintain a stable supply to customers, especially producers of goods for export.


The corporation has stepped up the repair, maintenance and upgrade of the power grid to improve its supply capacity and arranged those works in better ways to minimize their impacts on power users, Mr. Phuoc said.


The firm has also called on large companies to use their own diesel-run generators in case of power supply shortage.  


However, he emphasized that an efficient, economical use of power is one of the key measures to ease power shortage.


With a total power consumption of 44.6 million kWh per day, the city now faces a daily shortage of about 1.1 million kWh. Meanwhile, the administrative sector and households account for about 40 percent, or 17.84 million kWh, of the total consumption. Therefore, if they can reduce their use by 6 percent, or 1.07 million kWh, the city will see no lack of electricity, he said.


Asked about recent power cuts, he explained they were made because of regular maintenance services or incidents, including cases in which power was automatically cut off as a result of an overload of the grid. “Such power cuts often lasted a short time,” he added.


“We never randomly cut power supply to customers, and in case a cut is needed, it cannot be made without a prior notice,” he asserted.


Cutting power must comply with the Electricity Law and must be informed in advance to customers via broadcast stations and newspapers, he said.


The corporation has yet to consider a power-cutting plan, since the National Power System Moderation Center has streamlined the power allocation on a daily basis to each power corporation to make the use of electricity more proper, balanced and efficient, he confirmed.


Source: SGGP


Source: QDND

Portugal saved by Alves and woodwork

In Vietnam Sports on November 15, 2009 at 2:33 pm

LISBON, Nov 14, 2009 (AFP) – Portugal, playing without the injured Cristiano Ronaldo, were clinging to their World Cup dreams on Saturday after only managing a 1-0 win over Bosnia Herzegovina in their play-off first leg.


It could have been a black night for the star-studded Portuguese side who were saved by the woodwork on three occasions, including twice in the last minute.


Porto defender Bruno Alves, who gave Portugal a fortunate winner in a qualifying round win over Albania, was on target again on Saturday with a powerful backpost header after 31 minutes for the game’s only goal.








Portugal´s Bruno Alves celebrates after scoring his goal against Bosnia during their play offs football match for the WC2010 at the Luz Stadium in Lisbon, on November 14, 2009. Portugal won the match 1-0. AFP PHOTO

It was reward for Portugal’s attacking pressure, but Bosnia, bidding to reach a first World Cup finals, were unlucky not to be level before the break.


With Portugal goalkeeper Eduardo hopelessly out of position at a corner, Senijad Ibricic crashed a header against the crossbar.


Portugal, the 2006 semi-finalists, should have been 2-0 ahead on the hour mark when Chelsea playmaker Deco jinked away from his markers before crossing to Liedson who sliced his shot just wide. Moments later Deco saw a goal-bound drive deflected away by a defender.


Bosnia still looked for an equaliser and were again denied by the woodwork in the last minute.


Edin Dzeko’s far-post header came off the crossbar while Zlatan Muslimovic’s quick reaction volley came off the post.


Source: SGGP Bookmark & Share