wiki globe

Posts Tagged ‘sunken’

One more of sunken Van Don 02 saved, 11 still missing

In Uncategorized on January 8, 2011 at 4:04 am

Another man from the cargo vessel Van Don 02, which sank on the southern part of East Sea on December 28, has been saved. This now takes the rescued crewmembers to 12. However, another 11 people from the ship are still missing.

Van Dong Port in northern province of Quang Ninh.

Do Thanh Tu, 26, from Hai Phong City was saved by fishing boat number 95690 on December 29, said Do Trieu Quang, the owner of the Van Don 02.


Mr Quang, director of the Quang Ninh Sea Transport, Import and Export Joint Stock Company, also added that Tu’s health is still rather weak.


Earlier on December 28, 11 members of the vessel were saved by two fishing boats from the southern province of Kien Giang.


Pham Xuan Thuy, deputy director of the company said that the sinking incident might have been caused by a tornado, triggered by a low-pressure system.


The remaining crewmembers that were lost at sea have been identified and they are mainly from Quang Ninh, Hai Phong, Thai Binh, Ha Noi and Ha Nam.


Related article:
Vietnamese ship sinks in East Sea, 12 missing

Source: SGGP

DPRK open to talks with Seoul over sunken ship

In Uncategorized on June 27, 2010 at 12:45 pm

 Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) said on Sunday it was open to inter-Korean military talks to address the sinking of a Republic of Korea (RoK) warship but urged the United States to cease its involvement in the case.

The salvaged bow of the South Korean warship PCC-772 Cheonan is placed on a barge in April 2010.

The North, however, renewed a demand that the South first allow Pyongyang to carry out its own inspection to verify the facts of the case — a condition Seoul has refused.


“Our intention was to dispatch our inspection group to RoK from the very day the authorities linked the case with us and then open North-South high-level military talks to discuss the results of the inspection,” an unnamed military official from the North said in a message disclosed by the official news agency KCNA.


“We still remain unchanged in our stand to open the above-said military talks and probe the truth about the case,” the official said in a telephone message sent to the US side.


The statement came just a day after G8 leaders condemned the sinking of the RoK warship, the Cheonan, in an official communique released after two days of talks in Canada.


Tensions are running high following the sinking of the South’s corvette near the maritime border in March with the loss of 46 lives.


President Barack Obama said in Toronto he stood “foursquare” behind RoK leader Lee Myung-Bak and scolded DPRK for its “irresponsible behaviour”.


RoK, citing the findings of a multinational probe, says a DPRK torpedo sank the ship and is pressing for the United Nations to censure DPRK.


But the North strongly denies any involvement and has threatened a military response to any UN actions.


The North’s military official said Sunday that it was “preposterous” and “absurd” for the US-led United Nations Command to address the Cheonan issue.


Seoul insists that the UNC, which has supervised the armistice along the border since the 1950-1953 Korean War ended, should handle the sinking, which it says is a violation of the truce pact.


Pyongyang has demanded that the US-led UNC be dismantled.


“The US forces side should no longer meddle in the issue of North-South relations under the name of ‘UN Forces Command,'” the North’s military official said.


The North’s Committee for Peaceful Reunification of Korea, in charge of handling cross-border relations, issued a statement Sunday denouncing the South’s recent military drills and plans to play a bigger role in US-led global efforts to stop the trafficking of weapons of mass destruction.


It branded such RoK policies as “reckless and frantic moves of the puppet warmongers to start a war of aggression” against DPRK.


In Toronto on Saturday, Obama and Lee agreed to extend Washington’s wartime command of RoK forces until 2015 in a demonstration of the strength of their alliance.


This means that in case of war on the Korean peninsula, the United States would assume operational command of RoK forces. Washington had been due to transfer wartime command to Seoul in April 2012.


The delay in the transfer drew mixed responses from RoK political parties.


The ruling Grand National Party welcomed it as an appropriate measure to earn more time to better cope with growing threats from North Korea, which conducted a second nuclear test last year.


But the main opposition Democratic Party criticised the government for abandoning a leadership role in defending the nation.


 

Source: SGGP

Sunken South Korean warship overshadows Clinton Asia tour

In Uncategorized on May 20, 2010 at 5:04 am

WASHINGTON, May 20, 2010 (AFP) – North Korea’s alleged sinking of a South Korean warship is set to dominate US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s Asian tour after she leaves Washington on Thursday.


The culmination of the investigation into the sinking of the Cheonan has thrust its way to the top of Clinton’s program, which was originally to center on the US-China economic and strategic dialogue in Beijing on May 24-25.


A multinational team of investigators concluded it was indeed a torpedo fired by a North Korean submarine that sank the South Korean warship, killing 46 sailors in one of the country’s worst naval tragedies.

Yoon Duk-Yong, co-head of the team investigating the sinking of the South Korean warship Cheonan, talks during a press conference at the Defense Ministry in Seoul on May 20, 2010. AFP photo

“The evidence points overwhelmingly to the conclusion that the torpedo was fired by a North Korean submarine,” the team said in its report on the March 26 sinking that split the 1,200-tonne corvette in half near the two Koreas’ disputed border.


“There is no other plausible explanation.”


Kurt Campbell, the top US diplomat for Asia, said “a central issue of discussion” for Clinton’s talks with Chinese officials will be “their assessments of developments in North Korea and their reaction to the report.”


The ship’s sinking is expected to be taken before the UN Security Council.


“One of the reasons Secretary Clinton is traveling to the region, to both Japan and South Korea, is to articulate and put in place a set of responses” to the investigation’s findings, Campbell said of the chief US diplomat’s fifth trip to Asia since taking office more than a year ago.


The responses could be presented on May 26 in Seoul, the last stop on Clinton’s nearly week-long tour that will also take her to Tokyo, Shanghai and Beijing.


Praising the report into the Cheonan’s sinking as an “objective and scientific review of the evidence,” White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said the United States “strongly condemns” the attack.


According to South Korean media, Seoul could announce joint naval maneuvers in the Yellow Sea, where the ship was sunk.


When she arrives in Tokyo on Friday, Clinton will discuss the sunken ship and the future of the US base at Futenma during talks with her Japanese counterpart Katsuya Okada and Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama.


In Shanghai, she will spend most of Saturday visiting the US and Chinese pavilions at the World Expo.


The US pavilion tops the list of national displays Chinese visitors want to see, according to market research by Millward Brown.


That represents a major turnaround from just a year ago, when the United States looked like it would be an Expo no-show.

d
Source: SGGP

Torpedo explosives found on sunken S.Korea ship

In Uncategorized on May 7, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Traces of explosive have been found on the wreckage of South Korean warship destroyed in a mystery blast in March and are similar to the type used in torpedos, a report said Friday.


Four metal fragments which have also been found are an alloy of aluminum and magnesium used in a torpedo’s casing, Yonhap news agency quoted an unidentified government official as saying.


The report, if confirmed, would further strengthen suspicions that a North Korean torpedo blew the corvette apart near the disputed border on March 26 with the loss of 46 lives.


The defence ministry denied the report, as it did a similar report on Thursday.


A multinational investigation team has been analysing wreckage and fragments “but no conclusion has yet been made”, spokesman Won Tae-Jae said.

A giant floating crane lifts the stern of sunken South Korean warship PCC-772 Cheonan near the disputed Yellow Sea border.

Investigators have said a powerful external blast tore the 1,200-tonne ship in two — apparently limiting the possible causes to a torpedo or a mine.


The explosive traces were found to be of a high explosive called RDX, which is used in torpedoes but not mines, Yonhap quoted the official as saying on condition of anonymity.


Experts from the United States, Sweden, Australia and Britain have joined the investigation to ensure it is transparent.


After it ends, probably this month, Won said South Korea could invite experts from China and Russia — countries close to North Korea — to inspect the ship’s wreckage.


President Lee Myung-Bak hinted Tuesday that North Korea was involved in the sinking. He promised a “resolute” response when the cause is established following the probe.


The South has not publicly ruled out a military response if the North is proved to have sunk the Cheonan, but has said it would probably take the issue to the UN Security Council.


As a veto-wielding Council member, China’s support would be crucial in anmy attempt to punish its ally.


Lee said results of the probe would be discussed with China.


North Korea has denied responsibility for the sinking.


The area where the Cheonan went down was the scene of deadly naval clashes in 1999 and 2002 and of a firefight last November which left a North Korean patrol boat in flames.


South Korean and US officials have said efforts to restart six-party talks on the North’s nuclear disarmament should be put on hold till the warship investigation is complete.

Source: SGGP